HybridZ

valve cover vent

Silent

That "big ol hole" does not go to the crankcase, only to the space between the front of the block and the timing cover.

Jeez Dan, how long has it been since you've had an L apart? Follow that "space between the front of the block and the timing cover" to the bottom. The bottom of the timing cover seals to the oilpan, and the space, aka big ol' hole, continues straight into the crankcase area.

Slide rule, I can barely use a calculator!

So, how freely DOES air flow from above the head to the crankcase? Is the pcv valve there merely to sort of encourage air through the engine's innards rather than just letting it stagnate? If there's any reasonable flow between top of head and crankcase, it would seem the suction from the pcv valve wouldn't be drawing any sort of vacuum at all in the crank case, only ensuring that air comes in at the valve cover and out through the pcv=>exhaust. I always thought the idea was to provide some small amount of negative pressure (vacuum) in the crankcase for reduced pumping losses. For that to be true the passages between the air volumes would have to be fairly restrictive, no?

As long as you dont put just a filter you will be good

take in mind valve cover filter breathers are also illegal but im guessing theres already illegal stuff on your car

What's wrong w/ just a filter on the valve cover? As long as you don't mind a little oily fumigation in the cabin, it's no different from what that li'l tube normally sees, which is the inside of the air filter (no vacuum in dere a'tall).

There is a big *** hole there in the front, so I'd expect the pressure equalizes pretty fast. Not sure how much volume flows through the valve cover vent, since it has a pretty good baffle in there. I think the idea on the stock PCV setup is more to alleviate pressure to avoid oil leaks, not create vacuum for hp gains.

Hmmm, mine's been running fine for years with the goofy little micro K&N filter on the valve cover. Venting back to the air filter is certainly a better idea to prevent fumage into the cabin, but as far as performance goes it shouldn't make any difference.

:iagree: Me too.

Dont mean to hijack this thread but could use suggestions! will try to add a pic of my setup also.

77Z with a 2600 engine, bored 30 over, e-88 head mild cam, cannon intake , trip webers 40 DCOE.

Would like to make sure the valve cover vent and the side pie vent are done correctly. any inputs. dont see many ways to do it do to lack of ports on the cannon.http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=7742

I'd just run them to a catch can. If you run them to one of the 2 ports in the manifold then you're going to have one cylinder running on gas and blowby and the rest running on clean gas. IIRC Dan made a manifold so that he could hook the PCV to all 6 cylinders. That's another option. Last, you could look into using something like this: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=14807

My plan is to do one of those and keep the breather on the valve cover, possibly with a restricted orifice in place so that the crankcase can develop enough vacuum.

not trying to thread jack....but where the hell is his brake and clutch cylinders???

If you look closely you'll see the wipers are flipped and you can just see the check valve for the brake booster with the vacuum line going to the intake.

In others words, on the other side of the car.

Edit: Dan beat me to it. I guess I should finish what I start in a timely manner while at work. LOL