HybridZ

2" IC piping?

GrayZee

I've put off adding a intercooler to my 280z because I need the left side opening in my rad cradle for my air 3" air intake and was never keen on the idea of cutting the body of the car to make room for more piping. Not to mention that there is very little room for a cross pipe between the radiator and the head when using the stock fan. Apon looking at the problem again I realised that if I were to use 2" piping (my turbo outlet is only 2" anyway) there would be plenty of room between the engine and rad without having to install a low profile electric fan. Also there is a small hole below where the air intake goes.. (the one used for AC lines and front wiring) would accomodate a 2" pipe with "slight" trimming. I would flare the pipe up to 2.5 as soon as it cleared the body, then a slicon adapter to the 2.75" TB. The question is.. what sort of HP limitations would I get by using 2" pipe? I'm thinking it would go alot further than most people would give it credit for, but I'm interested in hearing some feedback anyway.

What is the size of the compressor outlet on your turbo? If its 2", I don't think you are going to gain anything by going with larger intercooler piping. You'll just be creating a large plenum that has to be pressurized and re-pressurized when the BOV hits.

I'd agree with John, but instead of a silicon adapter upsizing at the T/B, try to make a tapered cone adapter so you impart less turbulence as it enters the EFI plenum through the throttle plate. Shouldn't be that hard of a fab with some of the smaller slip-rollers available now.

There are all sorts of supersonic speeds that you monitor for when designing a piping system, but in practical application the pipe friction and etc arent' as critical as many think. If you are below 300 hp, I wouldn't sweat it at all.

BTW, thanks for the recomendation of the Dyno Shop, John, those guys were great!

I'd agree with John' date=' but instead of a silicon adapter upsizing at the T/B, try to make a tapered cone adapter so you impart less turbulence as it enters the EFI plenum through the throttle plate. Shouldn't be that hard of a fab with some of the smaller slip-rollers available now.

There are all sorts of supersonic speeds that you monitor for when designing a piping system, but in practical application the pipe friction and etc arent' as critical as many think. If you are below 300 hp, I wouldn't sweat it at all.[/quote']

Yeah, that's why I was gonna use a pipe adapter to 2.5 once the piping comes back into the engine bay. That way the silicon adapter is only a .25" increase instead of .75" Unfortunatly the piping I use does not come in .25 increments. Basically the same setup as I used here.. http://www.members.shaw.ca/icecube/PathyPipes/103-0346_IMG.JPG

The transition isn't too bad. 2" to 2.5" to 2.75".... gradual increments.

I am under 300hp right now, but eventually I'll upgrade the turbo, so we'll see.

FWIW, that is how I piped my IC. 2" from the turbo compressor across the engine bay between the engine and radiator, then went to 2.5" to match the intercooler couplers and throttle body size. On my new setup with the talon I am doing 2" the entire way to the throttle body, but it is much tighter to route IC pipes.

I run 2" from the turbo all the way to the IC and it seems to OK. I had about a 1 psi pressure drop after adding the pipe and the IC. The output diameter from a T04B compressor looks about 1.5". A stock T3 looks about 1.375". However, I did run 2.5" from the IC to the TB because 2.5" is about the size of the TB OD.