HybridZ

Tokico BZ1073 struts

Is anyone else with sectioned struts using Tokico Illumina BZ1073 in the front (VW strut)? I have my 240z strut housings sectioned with these struts now. I was talking to the tech guy at ground control and he said these were the worst choice to go with.....? I have yet to drive my car with this set up but I don't want to be dissapointed once it's back on the road. Are they really THAT bad? I have the 240z front struts in the rear now, and I guess these are OK.

Next question, if they really are that bad, and now that the housings are sectioned and powder coated, is there another insert that I can use that will fit in the sectioned housing? Without having to cut and weld again. Thanks.

Those should be the same length as the Bilsteins that katman recommended in the sticky named "calling all racers". The bilsteins should be fine for a street spring as is. If you want to get really crazy with the spring rates, revalve them as he suggests.

My understanding is that the VW insert is 2" shorter than stock. That OLD SECONDHAND info, so you might want to doublecheck that before you start buying parts. The MR2 insert is 1.625" shorter than stock IIRC. So you won't be able to use the MR2 insert in a housing that has been shortened for the VW insert.

There might be another strut that is short enough like the Koni possibly, but check that sticky. I've had 2 cars with Bilsteins though, and I love em. For me it would be an easy choice.

Did the GC guy say WHY the VW was a bad choice? Valving? Was he thinking this was a race car and not a street car?

Thanks guys. I think the tech guy was referring to a race only car. I had a specialty shop section my housings and these were the struts they recommended for a street car. I trusted them since they are a specialty shop and also I wasn't buying the struts from them, so they had no real reason to tell me otherwise. I'm going to look into the Bilsteins as alot of people seem to like them but I guess I'll give the VW Illuminas a road test first.