HybridZ

turbo cam vs n/a

racerx260

Can I put a n/a cam in my turbo? I have all the stock specs but cant tell if it will hurt or help.wiyh the timing so far advanced in a turbo i do not know what to expect if i use a cam with the valves opening and closeing at different intervals than the turbo cam.Has anyone tried it or have opinions on bennifits or detrements from this change?

Can I put a n/a cam in my turbo? I have all the stock specs but cant tell if it will hurt or help.wiyh the timing so far advanced in a turbo i do not know what to expect if i use a cam with the valves opening and closeing at different intervals than the turbo cam.Has anyone tried it or have opinions on bennifits or detrements from this change?

Yes. They have more lift on one of the side. I run an early L28 n/a cam on my 71.

i ran a turbo on a N/A block and head thus a N/A cam as well. I did have the turbo ecu and everything that went with it (afm, dist, manifold etc.) and the thing ran like a bat out of he%%, Proabbly because of the higher compression ratio. I would still be running that today but my granger style boost controller stuck and i blew it up,(every cylinder on the head cylinder gasket had blown!!) after you let it sit for a couple months you should take it easy on it before you hammer on the gas in fourth, lol :rolleyesg but its my second driver and "experimental" car so that wasnt a big deal to me.

But yeah, it might not be ideal but it will work.

Blake

• 2 weeks later...

Stock turbo cam is a 240 intake/248 exhaust with 109 lobe centers

Stock NA cam is 248 intake/248 exhaust with 109 lobe centers (8 degrees more intake than stock turbo)

MSA stage 1 turbo cam is 260 intake/ 250 exhaust with 114 lobe centers (yes, more intake than exhaust)

So, I would think the stock NA cam would work even better than the stock turbo cam since it is adding more intake duration while keeping the exhaust the same (like the MSA stage 1). Using this logic, the NA cam could be called a stage 0.5 turbo cam.

The only issue would be a little more overlap with the stock NA cam that may create a little more of a peaky turbo engine (more torque but in a narrower rpm).

Should work fine.

I have tried all three cams with a turbo.

The stock turbo cam stops making power at 5000 rpm. It will pull to 5500 but the engine really starts to fall on it face after 5000rpm. I did try the stock turbo cam with the T3/T4 turbo and I didn't like it. Full boost didn't come in until 3500 with the bigger turbo and then the cam quit pulling hard at 5000. This made a very short power band. So I upgraded to a MSA stage 1 and it pulls hard to 6000 rpm and will make 6500 rpm if I push it. Much better match for the bigger turbo but has a lot of low rpm lag.

I have never used the MSA stage 1 cam with a stock turbo. But i would think the stock turbo would be way out of the range with run high boost (over 12 psi) with a L28 at 6000 rpm.

I used a N47 head with N42 block turbo (8.3:1 cr) with only 7 or 8 psi of boost. It was the first turbo engine I built so I kind of forgot how it did. But I do remember it pulling to at least 5500. Not sure if it was the extra duration from the NA cam or the added compression that gave it a few more rpms. But I would think 8 more degrees of intake duration would allow more rpm.

Not sure about your turbo. But if it is like a stocker then use the NA cam. If it is a lot bigger than a stock turbo (longer spool) then use the MSA stage 1 cam.

hmm cuz I am using a Holset HY35W and boost hits at 3' date='600-3,900 RPM..

soo .. im debating n/a or my stage I cam ive never installed[/quote']

I'd say you need a bigger cam so you can rev it higher and use the boost up to 7000 rpm.

Yes, go for the bigger cam with more rpm to better match the higher rpm boosting turbo.

You will also need stronger valve springs, thicker lashpads (0.160's), and retainers with deeper lash pad holes.

The msa stage 1 cam revs up pretty good. I have hit 7000 rpm in 1st gear a few times but I tend to start shifting right after the tach swings pass 6000. I would not like a bigger cam than the stage 1 on the street. Low rpm torque from a 7.4:1 cr engine is poor even with a mild cam. I would hate to think how a stage 2 cam would feel with 7.4:1 cr. However with higher compression, a stage 2 or 3 might work out well.