HybridZ

Canyon driving: 240z or Miata?

KiD-ViD

Well I recently moved to Ventura county and there are tons of canyons to be had down here. I am thinking once I get a little more financially stable I will build a car up for weekend canyon runs. Here is my dilema, I am obsessed with lightweight rear wheel drive cars and therefore cant decide between which car to buy for this. A 1990 Mazda Miata or a 240z. I would plan to do a full suspension and brake setup along the lines of Advanced Design shocks, AZC brakes, etc... So at this level of modification would the Miata still have a huge handling advantage over a 240z? I think it would be easier to get a Z down in weight but the Miata has much newer engineering and is also known to be an incredible handler. Thanks for your input on my little bench racing day dreams guys!

In stock form the Miata is the hands down winner. With the AD shocks and AZC brakes and all the rest the Z will eat it for lunch.

As far as running canyons goes I suggest you be careful. Those roads are fun for sure, but they are also dangerous. I suggest you find an autox instead. You'll live longer, and believe it or not you'll have MORE fun.

Well, I was saying if the miata was also similarly prepared. As for autocrossing, I already do with a fully speced CSP miata. And I would never try and push the limits when there is a cliff nearby, guardrail or not. I have been in a far too severe car accident for that heh. Just quick spirited driving with some buddies.

Thanks John, that is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I guess I shoulda just looked up some SCCA results...I didnt even think of that. And that is the answer I wanted too. As much as I love the miata, the Z still looks so much better.

Well I recently moved to Ventura county and there are tons of canyons to be had down here. I am thinking once I get a little more financially stable I will build a car up for weekend canyon runs. Here is my dilema, I am obsessed with lightweight rear wheel drive cars and therefore cant decide between which car to buy for this. A 1990 Mazda Miata or a 240z. I would plan to do a full suspension and brake setup along the lines of Advanced Design shocks, AZC brakes, etc... So at this level of modification would the Miata still have a huge handling advantage over a 240z? I think it would be easier to get a Z down in weight but the Miata has much newer engineering and is also known to be an incredible handler. Thanks for your input on my little bench racing day dreams guys!

I regularly take one of my Z's up Angeles Crest for Breakfast on Sundays.

Bunch of us meet at the Shell station at Angeles Crest and the 210 at 7:30am if you can get up that early. Next run on 7th of May. Nothing dangerous, but lots of fun.

Art

I regularly take one of my Z's up Angeles Crest for Breakfast on Sundays.

Bunch of us meet at the Shell station at Angeles Crest and the 210 at 7:30am if you can get up that early. Next run on 7th of May. Nothing dangerous' date=' but lots of fun.

Art[/quote']

Look out the the PRO ITALIA group riding the hill....they are likely to be riding on a Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Lavertta, Aprilla, etc., etc. I used to ride regularly with this group....years ago. The Crest Hwy is certainly a great stretch of black-top!

Look out the the PRO ITALIA group riding the hill....they are likely to be riding on a Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Lavertta, Aprilla, etc., etc. I used to ride regularly with this group....years ago. The Crest Hwy is certainly a great stretch of black-top!

Oh yeah its Bike city at Newcombs Ranch. Not too many of them have the balls to lean it over as much as they need to to keep up with a well handling car. They usually wait to pass on the straights, except the time I took my 240ZT. :D