HybridZ

80 or 81 n/a tranny

Guest dherde26

Guest dherde26

i tryed to search btu i didnt find what i was lookin for so...

both are out of n/a cars and it will be goin in to a 77 280

first ? is wich one is better for gas milelage cuz i drive her everyday

and next ? is do i need the drive shaft and should i get the rear end too...

thanks in advance

drew

The 81 is going to have a slightly taller 5th gear. All other gears are the same. So the 81 will give better mileage, but for racers who get to 5th gear, the advantage would be with the 80 (ever so slight advantage). You don't need the driveshaft. The diff should have shorter gears that can make use of the taller 1st 2nd and 3rd gear ratios, so yes, if you have a stock 240 or something like that, grab the diff.

This link might help too:http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/

Guest dherde26

thanks man ...i have a 77 280z will there be a difference in the diff or no and wich combo will give me the best gas milelage

also is either stronger than the other

thanks

drew

No, one isn't stronger than the other, assuming you have a manual 280z, because it also came with an R200. Your 280z will have 3.54 gears, and the ZX's may have 3.54s or 3.90s. 3.90s is definitely the way to go. 3.54 will give you a top speed of 190 or something if you check the calculator. 3.90s on the other hand will have your revs a bit higher at highway speeds but you'll get a lot better acceleration.

I concur with Jon! The 81 tranny with 3.90 gears are a good match for regular driving. I believe this combination came stock on a N/A manual shift ZX. I ran this set-up in my 240 and 5th gear is a perfect freeway gear. I have however, gone to a 4.10 gearing. Much more fun to drive and 5th gear is still just fine on the freeway....just a couple hundred rpm higher.

Anyone here looking for a 5 speed tranny with a clutch out of a 1981 280zx?

Cause I got one. It comes with a 390 gear.

Also have a 280zx motor that was bored/stroked. N47 head,tripple webber carbs,and more.

I want to sell it because I am putting a 400 sbc/T-56 tranny in that car.

I really need a 5speed and depending on the price i might want to take your engine off your hands. I really need the transmission to get my car running though. How much are you looking to get for it. Ill pm you.