z ya

Me and my father just finished the install

of his brand new fast burn 385 sbc in his

75 280z.That motor is sooo nice.Its topped

with a 750 demon double pumper and 1.75

Sandeson headers.the tranny is a TPI 700r4

with a b/m prostick.All we have left to do is

the exhaust!He is going with car chemistrys

inserts with 2.5 duals.Its gonna be nice!

Guest Rick Johnson

Ill be real interested to hear how it runs. If it really puts out 385, your Z should scream.

Hope you have a G Tek or some other way to quantify your ride.

Guest Anonymous

I have the Fast Burn Heads from the 385 on my car-I went ahead and added the HOT cam and 1.6 roller rockers to make it a ZZ430 clone-The magazine tests have all verified that these motors put out the horsepower GM advertises and I can verify that this engine is a blast to drive in a Z car! I was told that this setup would be pretty radical for a street car, but on a light car like the Z the setup works great with a sensational top end above 4000 rpm. The engine is pretty docile and idles well at about 750 rpm.

------------------

Tony

1972 240Z w/ZZ430/T56/GTO body kit

quote:

Originally posted by z ya:

Me and my father just finished the install

of his brand new fast burn 385 sbc in his

75 280z.That motor is sooo nice.Its topped

with a 750 demon double pumper and 1.75

Sandeson headers.the tranny is a TPI 700r4

with a b/m prostick.All we have left to do is

the exhaust!He is going with car chemistrys

inserts with 2.5 duals.Its gonna be nice!

Tony,

I'm not familiar w/the ZZ430. When you say you added the "Hot Cam" are you referring to an aftermarket cam or a stock GM Hot cam.

What are the spec's for that Hot Cam: Is it a hydraulic roller/flat tappet cam?

1)Lift on Int/Exh

2)Advertised Duration & Duration at .050

3)What is the Lobe Separation Angle-sometimes called Lobe Displacement Angle.

Just curious?

Kevin,

Kevin - the specs are in the GM catalog. The ZZ430 was a 430HP 350 that was limited production and "signed" kind of thing. It had "Hot Heads", the Hot Cam, and I'm not sure what else. The 385 horse motor just has the nice heads - no cam smile.gif The ZZ430 was big bucks, tough to get, and now sold out. The 385 is an AWESOME deal IMO and the addition of a cam would make it a 430 sans signature valve covers. Oh, and one of the GM places is selling a ZZ430 build-alike that has the new EFI setup on it with a reprogrammed ECU. It too is insane cash.....

Guest Anonymous

Specs on the ZZ430 from the Sallee Chevrolet website:

ZZ430 ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

The base foundation of the ZZ430 is the ZZ4 Short Block (See ZZ4 Spec's for more information.)

Displacement: 350 cubic inches

Bore x Stroke: 4.00 inch x 3.48 inch

HORSEPOWER 430@5800RPM

TORQUE 430@4000RPM

MAX RPM 6100RPM

INTAKE #12366573 VORTEC DUAL PLANE

DISTRIBUTOR GM HEI

Compression: 9.6:1

Block: Cast iron, four-bolt intermediate mains

Cylinder Head: Cast Aluminum Fast Burn #12464298, 23 degree valve angle, Valve Diameter (Intake/Exhaust): 2.00†/ 1.55â€, Chamber Volume: 62 cc

Crankshaft: 1053 Forged steel, 1 piece rear seal

Connecting Rods: Forged, powdered metal, 3/8†bolts

Pistons: Cast Aluminum

Camshaft: H.O.T. CAM #24502586, Hydraulic Roller Tappet

Lift: .525†intake, .525†exhaust

Duration: 218 degree intake, 228 degree exhaust @ .050†tappet lift with a 1.6 rocker

Centerline: 109 degree ATDC (After Top Dead Center) intake, 115 degree BTDC exhaust

Rocker Arms: GM 1.6:1 self aligning roller rockers (Roller Tip)

Timing Chain: 8 mm single roller design

Oil Pan: 4-quart

Oil Pressure (Normal): 40 psi @ 2000 RPM

Oil Filter: AC Delco part # PF25, Premium AC Delco part # UPF25

Fuel: Premium unleaded - 92 (R+M/2)

Maximum Engine Speed: 5800 RPM

Spark Plugs: AC Delco part # MR43LTS

Spark Plug Gap: .045 With HEI Distributor (Less with points distributor.)

Spark Timing: 32 degrees maximum @ 4000 RPM

Firing Order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

The key to this engine is the heads, which flow very well as cast. The valves are the severe duty ones from the Corvette LT-4 engine.The heads are about $1100, which is pretty competive with other good flowing aluminum heads. You have to use intake manifolds with the "vortec" late model design, which are available from edelbrock or GM. The heads are drilled for early 4 bolt or late center bolt valve covers.

------------------

Tony

1972 240Z w/ZZ430/T56/GTO body kit

quote:

Originally posted by TonyM:

Specs on the ZZ430 from the Sallee Chevrolet website:

ZZ430 ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

Sweet stuff is using all that great R&D GM has done smile.gif

use any 350 shortblock, used roller is preferred for cost smile.gif current vortec bottom end takes any 'normal' (ie. oldstyle heads) bolt on edelbrock rpm's (9.4:1 overall compression and alum. heads = 87 octane smile.gif and your pick of roller cams.....an Lt1 v. cheap OE cam for up to 350ish hp, ZZ4 cam for 410-420hp (hope to dyno mine this summer to back up what impala Lt1's with ZZ4's have already proven), HOT cam or any other similar one for 420+hp, I'd take a ZZ4 having heard HOT cam's and knowing how much smoother my ZZ4 sounds for my daily beast

This can be a cheap motor for what you get smile.gif and you can swap heads/intakes with the common bolt patterns AND bolt up a T56 if you decide with a stock/cheap clutch smile.gif

I'd jump at any vortec shortblock (or longblock if price is right/flip those heads and you're off to the races smile.gif

Hey Ross - the Performer heads are what I'm running smile.gif Forged pistons, more cubes, and Eagle rods though. They went with a flat tappet cam in an LT1 block because they felt they could hit my 450HP requirement without a roller. Who knows, maybe I'll upgrade later!

Had GM had the 385 out there when I was deciding there's a pretty good chance I'd have gone with it to be honest. I don't like the pistons but it had the heads I wanted on the ZZ4 bottom, I didn't care about the cam since it's so easy to change. Oh well, they've got it right now IMO. Now if GM would just put that nifty new EFI on it for less than a million bux I'd really be kicking myself in the rear!