HybridZ

PCV Valve?

I have a basic street/strip 383 SBC with vortec heads. I recently bought some die cast aluminum valve covers for it and I put breathers on each side. I took a picture of it and showed to a guy a work with and he said that I need to put a pcv valve on the engine or would start blowing oil ou the dipstick tube or blow ever seal in the engine. I did not think that made any sense at all. How would the crankcase build up any kind of pressure if the engine was vented to out side atomoshpere. His argument has that the pcv was very important. what do you guys think?

I'm running a GM PP Crate ZZ430 with the Vortec Fastburn 385 heads and had the same problem with the Bowtie Aluminum valve covers. Big time oil blow-by using ONE vented valve cover. Put the PVC valve in and the problem totally went away. Before that, I regularly "raised' the Dipstick on high RPM runs!

Guest tony78_280z

I think that if you have a PCV in both valve covers and no breather it will blow oil out the dipstick. Something similar yet not documented happend to me.

I have seen cars where the PCV valve got clogged with oil and they most definitely did blow oil out the dipstick tube. The car had a few miles on it, so might only happen with an older engine.

There is really no reason not to use a PCV valve. Better to have a slight vaccum in the crankcase then a positive overpressure from ring blowby. The vaccum will help seal the rings.

my question was if needed a pcv valve if i have a breather in each valve cover

How can you draw a vacuum on the cranckcase when the breather and pcv is in the same valve cover? Each valve cover? IMO No, PCV on one side, breather on the other. I run a pcv on one side and a "restricted" breather on the other to create vacuum, but still allow flow, but that's another story. If you were asking if you need a pvc with breathers in each cover, no, but it helps to rid the crankcase of fumes/blowby.