HybridZ

Help me pick some Daily driver wheels/ tires

I found out my swastikas have an undesireable amount of runout on them, (they wobble too much) so I decided to replace them and see if my wheels shimmy (high speeds) goes away.

The car is a daily driver, and may see a few autocrosses over the summer (usually about 4-5 events, nothing extremely competitive)

Current wheels/ tires are Swastika's (15x6") with 225-50-15 kumho ecsta 711's.

I'm kinda looking at keeping the swastikas with the 711's on for when I go autocrossing this summer, and maybe next summer upgrading to something like falken azenis...

...and in the meantime, put on some 14x7's or something NEW, with NO runout and new tires. Kinda like the way the rewinds look, but i'm open to suggestions. I want the 14x7's so I can have some sidewall to cushion the ride, and possibly save my chassis from these horrible streets (sw side of houston has bad roads) For tires I was thinking about the potenza re-92's in something like 195-60-14 or similar. (re-92's for the "low rolling resistance"... as seen on honda insight's)

what do you guys think?

main goal here is to smooth out highway driving, smooth out the ride (a little more sidewall), and maybe increase gas mileage a little over my swastikas and 225 meats.

Seems kind of expensive for a dd set of wheels/tires. I dont really know of any 14x7 oem wheels, but if you find a set that fits I'm sure you could get it for 100$.

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/StockCarSeries.htm

14x7=45$x4=180+shipping,tax,steel.

http://www.vulcantire.com/ze512_60_t.htm

195/60/14 falken 512 ziex

36$x4=144$+shipping

Like I said, itd be best if you found an oem wheel that would work because I'm sure they could be had for <100$. Vulcan tires usually has really good prices and cheap shipping, I'm not sure how much the tires you were looking at are.

Just Ideas.

good advice. The reason I was even thinking about brand new wheels was because My current used wheels ALL have pretty bad run out. I wanted to start on a clean slate, but if you can convince met that the stock 14's will do I might jsut go that route. I do have a set of stock steelies that I might just stick new tires on, I just have to make sure they are straight! I'm just as cheap as the next guy so the cheaper the better...

ok maybe I just really wanted rewinds :), but you are right, they are a little too much for DD wheels.

The tires I am looking into is something not so performance related, and more economically based, because this car is a daily driver, and it will go into superman mode when I change the wheels!

Speaking from experience, I'd stay away from RE92's, they're all around craptacular tire, unless you're looking to save a bit on gas. But then the price per tire compared to some Khumo's kinda kills that.

I am selling my 14"x6.5" eagle 5 point star wheels for $125 with tires if you want them +shiping. 3 tires need to be replaced with about 20% tread remaining and 1 tire is brand new. They could be cleaned up a bit and look really nice.

the tires on it are 215/60 r14 tires and have a really smooth ride.

you can see them on the first few photos of my worklog. I have cleaned them up since those pics and can get some good shine out of them but not like new.

* Pusher*... I have always liked your Z...but it must be a pain to steer in parking lots with that crazy low amount of backspace...the only problem with those scl wheels from diamond is that they don't come in 4X4.5 lugs...I guess you could have them put a regular center in the thinner shell.

I'd love to get rid of my 14" wheel collection, but even if you were interested i think shipping from florida to texas would make them not very cost effective...i've got the western turbine wheels in both the tight and wide spokes, and i've got some momo quasars with no center caps in 15X7 with 195 50 15 toyo tires on them. but you'd need spacers to run those...

Olie I think you should take into consideration how much it freakn' rains here, And there arn't a whole lot of good rain tires in a 14 from my personal experience. And the yoko's ES100 is what's on the front of mine now, and they are absolutely HORRIBLE in the rain. Just a thought man, I know mine likes to get tail happy when it's wet here.

-Ed

yeah, i do remember when I had my steelies on, I would scare the sh*t out of my g/f at the time, getting sideways without even trying (in the rain of course) :shock:

I'm really considering the falken ziex in 195/65/14 for $38 each. As pusher posted.

In the past I have heard that wet traction is maximized by a skinnier tire, and that wider tires are more prone to hydroplaning. My limited experience has shown that falken ziex in 205/50/15 absolutely stink in rain, but my current kumho 225/50/15, rock in rain. If you look at the tread patterns they don't look too different.