HybridZ

Well guys as school comes to a end here in a few days. I wanted to share my car with you. As you already know I am in the process of doing a LS1 swap in my 73. Parting the Camaro out has been alil fun and I hope to have the money put out to purchase the car back within the next month or so. If you have the time this is def the way to do it.

Ok the pics you see is about 2 weeks old, and when David aka 1TUFFZ came out to my school for the day. The silver car is mine of course, white Z is David's and the red is own by a local art student. So tell me what you think....

DSC01399_thumb.JPG

DSC01400_thumb.JPG

DSC01401_thumb.JPG

DSC01407_thumb.JPG

DSC01406_thumb.JPG

Nice pics' date=' I don't know that I've seen anyone install their autometer's like that, I like it!

Can you share how you did it?[/quote']

I had it done by someone in Rochester, NY. I believe he took the stock housing and dremeled it out to make the Autometer gauges work. That way they can sit far back in the dash like OEM gauges. The entire dash was taken out to make life a lot easier. Thanks for the comment.

Clive

Clive:

Any chance that you could post a little more about your experience parting out the camaro? I'm about a month behind you, just gearing up to purchase one and am just a little curious. Did you have the most success selling the parts via ebay or through other places? So it has been fairly easy to recoup your costs?

Thanks.

Bryan

Dat240zg

I would like love to know the same on your parting out experience. Was the Camaro in good shape and someones daily driver, was it wrecked, etc. It is starting to seem like it would be a good idea to buy a running car getting what you need and selling the rest to possibly a drag racer or something.

Well as you can see from the pic the car was wrecked but low mileage and in very good shape. The int was mint and the rest of the ext body parts that wasn't hit. Basically I started off by posting on LS1.com, LS1TECH.COM, and Rochesterfbodyclub.net because that is where the car is located.

So if you are planning on doing this, it would be worth it to post on forums and local fbody clubs. Here you can get the most out of the sales before hitting ebay. I say that because with ebay comes fees and shipping which equals time. Make a list of the dealer asking price vs ebay price vs street price vs asking price. Sometimes parts sell for triple the cost on ebay because of a bidding war and other times you can just expect a certain price for a part to bring in.

I am in a rush to sell these parts because the car is located 5 1/2 hours from my house, so this is the reason I am starting to hit ebay with parts. When I list parts, I put in the description that I am parting out a 2002 Camaro. Lots of emails with request of parts. If David 1TuffZ wants to chime in on the topic he can tell how his motor n tranny combo with fans and anything else he needed has cost him nothing and he parted out a 2001 Trans am ws6. I am a poor college student just trying to build a car, so I have to be creative and work smarter not harder.

Plus you get to learn about another car as you tear it down.

Clive

cam1_thumb.jpg

cam2_thumb.jpg

cam4_thumb.jpg

cam5_thumb.jpg

446_thumb.attach

Yeah, I did my car that same way. Purchased a 98 Transam with Low Miles for a smokin deal. Then made profit on it and kept all the vitals. I still have some parts left and selling them as the swap process moves on helps fund the new parts needed for the swap.

That is so encouraging because I have been looking for an LS6 and a transmission all seperate and you guys seem to have found the best way. So try to find a 2002 LS1 (which has the LS6 block) car that has been wrecked and sell of the rest. I did not think you could get much for the rest of the car parts but it seems like you can. So how much did you spend on your wrecked cars? Also, thank you for posting this, which makes me think it is the right direction.

the 02's [i believe] don't have an ls6 block, just the ls6 intake. this is true for 01+ f body cars. i did as clive indicated-purchased a totalled 01 trans am ram air ws6. had just 20k on it when smushed. i completely stripped the car and sold all the parts i could. net result was near $0 outlay for the parts i kept-eng, trans, oxy sensors, fans, pcm, battery cables, throttle cables [there are many]. i think a decent donor can be had for a price in the range of $5k-8k, depending on mileage, condition, etc.

david

So how much did you spend on your wrecked cars? Also, thank you for posting this, which makes me think it is the right direction.

2k - And I wasnt even looking for it. It tumbled down to me along the grapevine, and a couple people at work had the chance to buy it before me. Yet they didnt for various reasons, space - time - permission, things like that. So I jumped on it. I didnt even have a Datsun at the time, so I had to go out and buy one of those :mrgreen:

http://www.fuelslut.net/hosting/uploads/LS1%20Pics%20001.jpg

http://www.fuelslut.net/hosting/uploads/LS1%20Pics%20002.jpg

The Car had been sitting awhile and the lady couldnt even remeber how many miles it had, she told me 32-37k but it ended up being 50k which is still acceptable for me.

• 1 month later...

As of right now I have recovered $3000 of the $6200 spend on the 02' Camaro. I am still selling parts as we speak and should be able to get the other 3K within the next 4 weeks. I have enough parts left now that should cover it. Online sites have been a great way to selling these parts and Ebay is the best for getting the parts out there. In ever item I listed I had a line describing the Camaro and had contact info to get parts from me without me listing and saving money. Let me say this, yes it is a lot more work than just buying the motor n tranny but in the long run it pays off. As some of you may have read in 1tuffz post about his est $3500 LS1 swap, I would like to keep number some what near that. I know for sure I'll be a little higher beceause I am starting from a shell basically. An example of my part out goes:

Leather int -> $600

Rear End -> $150

Radio Head Unit -> $122

Seat Belts -> $54

All Brakes -> $250

Center Console with shift boot -> $150

Carpet-> $75

Fender -> $100

Hatch struts -> $50

Shift Knob -> $22

Ttops-> $211

Ttop Shades -> $50

I still have the 2 doors....all the rims.....dash and so on! The little items adds up!!!!!!

Just my thought.

Sucks you only got 250 for the Brakes. Ive seen the Rear with Backing Plates go for 200+ alone. and close to 150 or 200 with Spindles for the Front.

I still have my Fronts Might keep them around to see if I can get them to work on the Datsun

Sucks you only got 250 for the Brakes. Ive seen the Rear with Backing Plates go for 200+ alone. and close to 150 or 200 with Spindles for the Front.

I still have my Fronts Might keep them around to see if I can get them to work on the Datsun

$250 was the price because he had to come pull them himself......which in the long run he couldn't do and needed some help from David aka 1tuffz.

• 1 month later...

Just over $1400 left and this motor n tranny is all paid for.......Not all from just the Maro because along the way I have been wheelin n dealin. With parts left ova from 2 cars now I will have this gone in a few more weeks.

I am really excited and can not wait to move the car to 1tuffz house so we can finish brakes n fuel so the install can start. I know the car won't be ready until spring but o well half the fun is the build. Just would like to thank HBZ for all the helpn good people on the site. Made a few friends here and that you can not really do on other sites.

New update in 2 weeks

• 4 weeks later...