HybridZ

What to do with the original a/c?

I forgot to mention if you dont want to do any retrofitting to your valves just use a side can tap. You will be able to use your original valves with this and not have to use the freeze 12 valves.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mastercool-R134A-R12-OIL-Side-Entry-Can-Tap-Valve_W0QQitemZ4637779203QQcategoryZ43998QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The only thing you have to do is to remove the schrader valve or poppet valve and put on the Freeze fittings. I neglected to mention this means that this will expel whatever gas you have left and open the system. The only thing more i had to buy was a schrader valve remover. If you buy the side can tap you can just fill your present system without opening the system although i don't know if R12 and Freeze12 mix. Link to a pic of the schrader valve remover. http://www.loosescrews.com/Product_Images/LS-1004KP.jpg

I got the Freeze12 kit in the mail today and I have some questions.

First, the instructions say that I have to deep-vacuum the system. I'm at school and the only vaccum I have says Hoover on it and definitely doesn't pull the required 29"Hg. What have you all done here?

Also, what am I supposed to do with the old refrigerant?

The instructions say not to fill it until the sight glass clears, so does that mean that there should still be bubbles visible in it?

There is a little pen shaped temperature gauge with the kit that isn't mentioned in the instructions. What do I use that for?

First' date=' the instructions say that I have to deep-vacuum the system. I'm at school and the only vaccum I have says Hoover on it and definitely doesn't pull the required 29"Hg. What have you all done here?

Also, what am I supposed to do with the old refrigerant?

The instructions say not to fill it until the sight glass clears, so does that mean that there should still be bubbles visible in it?

There is a little pen shaped temperature gauge with the kit that isn't mentioned in the instructions. What do I use that for?[/quote']

In my case our car had leaked everything out so we just took out the R-12 schrader valve and put on the F-12 fittings. Then the first can i put in was the stop leak then the oil then two cans of F-12 we never had the system vacuumed. In your case you might have to go to a shop and have them remove the R-12 and have them evacuate and fill it for you. Depending on where you go this should cost around $35-50 bucks. But make sure you only fill it up to 80% of the original capacity. You cannot mix R-12 and F-12 but you can use whatever old oil is in the system. The "pen" is a pressure gauge so that you wont over fill the system. If you over fill the system it will make it blow warm air instead of cool air.

The "pen" is a pressure gauge so that you wont over fill the system.

False. It says Degrees Farenheit right on it. That brings me to another point, which is that I don't have manifold gauges to do this the right way.

I suppose I will just spend the money and have a shop do the filling for me. After reading the Chilton manual and hearing about the possibility of forming a poison gas or having my eyes frozen while working with r12, I'm not too eager to try it here at school where I don't have the right equipment.

First' date=' the instructions say that I have to deep-vacuum the system. I'm at school and the only vaccum I have says Hoover on it and definitely doesn't pull the required 29"Hg. What have you all done here?[/quote']

You need a vacuum pump. Either venturi ($10 but need a compressor) or electric (much better but more $$, under $200 for a cheap one) and some gauges. You can get used gauges and electric pumps on Ebay. For about what you'll pay a shop you could own the tools and the next time you'll be glad you have them, so will your friends.

http://acsource.com/

http://www.acsource.net/acforum/

Here is another option for you guys! Find a local Tech school and go to the HVAC department and most will be GLAD to MONITOR their students and vacuum and charge it for you, most will have you pay for the refrigerant only! Cant tell you how many we did when I was an Instuctor!

• 11 months later...

Guys, it may have taken me a year but I finally got the a/c straightened out. I did things kind of crudely, but the system works excellently now. First, I dumped all of the pressurized r12 and oil out of the high pressure valve. I removed the Schrader valve from the low pressure side and installed the Freeze-12 fitting from the kit that I bought on Ebay. From there, it was just a matter of cranking the car up, turning the compressor on, and putting in the Freeze-12 oil and refrigerant. I used 10% less Freeze-12 than r12 as they recommended, which is about 2 and a half of the 12oz cans. I was also keeping an eye on the sight glass and measuring the temperature of the air at the vents.

Considering that I didn't vacuum the system in any way or change out the receiver/dryer, it's performing well. The temp at the vents has gotten as low as 36 degrees F on a 75 degree day. It typically hovers closer to 40 and sometimes 50 depending on how long the compressor has been cycled on or off.