HybridZ

LS Alternator Only Mounting

Anyone know a clean way to mount just an alternator and mechanical water pump on an LSX series motor? Want to get rid of the power steering pump, and wouldn't mind deleting one or more of the idlers in the process.

Have been searching both hear and on LS1TECH.com but can't seem to find what I want. Do the serpentine belts come in different lengths? Anyone know a source for info on belt lengths?

I got my LS1 on the ground right now and have removed everything except the alternator and it seems pretty straight foward how to route the belt. That being said I havent actually put a belt on it but Im sure it will work and still use the stock tensioner on the upper pass side.

Here's how I did mine.

ShortBelt1.jpg

Yep, that is exactly how I was going to do it. I was going to just keep the stock tensioner pulley where it is and get another one to go where the one by the alternator is considering the stock pulley is smooth. Great info though DaleMX.

Thanks Dale. That looks perfect. A couple of guys on LS1TECH managed to make it work without the right most tensioner, but people questioned whether there was enough belt area contacting the water pump pully and the crank pully to be effective. Your set up definitely covers the water pump. I assume the car is on the road so no problems?

The slickest I have seen so far was this set up

11409alternator_mount1.jpg

The guy had to machine a new water pump impeller so he could spin it backwards.

Here is the link. Beyond what I can do.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450927&highlight=alternator+impeller

Thanks Dale. That looks perfect. A couple of guys on LS1TECH managed to make it work without the right most tensioner' date=' but people questioned whether there was enough belt area contacting the water pump pully and the crank pully to be effective. Your set up definitely covers the water pump. I assume the car is on the road so no problems?

The slickest I have seen so far was this set up

[img']http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/11409alternator_mount1.jpg[/img]

The guy had to machine a new water pump impeller so he could spin it backwards.

Here is the link. Beyond what I can do.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450927&highlight=alternator+impeller

Thats not going to work. The waterpump is spinning the wrong direction. That motor will quickly overheat if run like that. Sucks too because that is a slick looking pulley.

**EDIT** After reading the story he machined a new impeller as well to facilitate the water pump spinning the other way. Kind of like using a bazooka to kill a mosquito if you ask me though. That is WAY too much work for what he acomplished but more power to him!

Mine is run just like Dale's. You do need to clearance that bolt near the 11 o'clock position on the new idler though. The alternative is to replace that bolt with an allen head bolt, but I couldn't find one. The idler can be bought at a regular parts shop. My extra idler is just black plastic - not fancy billet like Dale's...

not fancy billet like Dale's...

Ha, Ebay - 12 bucks!.

I ended up grinding the bolt too. Just torque it in place first then mark it for grinding.

Did you see the postion of the steering rack in the backwards pump pic?

I am interest in what kind of rack he used in the picture above? Look like it can be adapt to any car easily. Just have to find a left hand drive rack of the same car.

Dale,

You used John's Kit. In order for you to fit the alternator in that location your motor has to sit higher compare to mine. I had the motor in that location and when I dropped the motor in the alternator was sitting on top of the bottom ujoint of the steering shaft.

Here is my very simple installation: You can see how low my motor sits too

2079260_98_full.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just joined this forum as I was thinking about building an LS1 powered 260Z for my next project. Browsing through and I spotted a pic of my reverse rotation water pump setup.

Well it seems to work well. I had the car finally running at a track day a couple of months back and I had no overheating problems. I probably will need an oil cooler at some point but that's another job.

Here's a video of it running in stealth mode with the quiet underbody exhaust system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WabIHz2NfA

Unfortunately I don't have much footage from the track meet but someone took a video of the motorkahna on the 2nd day. It's a bit embaresing as I completely stuffed it up. I'm still learning to drive the car and get the suspension set up. I couldn't get any front end grip so had to just drive round quietly.

Cheers

Michael

Welcome to the forums. Always nice to get new members with obvious skills. I love that nice clean look. Your set up on a carb'd LS motor would give it a nice retro look.

I am also glad I had nothing but good things to say about your set up. I tend to put my foot in my mouth a lot.

I ended up adapting a smaller alternator I found in a wrecking yard also. My motor is too far back and too low to use the stock LS alt. Got a Denso unit from a 90 Celica, then put a 5 rib pulley off a Supra on it. I don't have access to a mill, so I have to make do with a hammer and grinder instead. Not as polished as yours but looks like it will work quite well.

Alt_final_mount.jpg

To answer my own question about serpentine belts, they generally put the number of ribs and belt length in the part number. So it was pretty easy to get a ball park length with a piece of string, then just get a couple of belts and find the one that fits.

Hi Pop,

Those smaller alternators are just the ticket. With your bracket painted your setup will look great. Your setup looks like it'll work fine. Many of the Cobra guys are running just an alternator and water pump and have done similar things. The only thing to watch for is that you have enough wrap around your crank pulley. These belts rely on surface area to transmit power through them without slipping. Since you are only running an alternator and water pump it'll probably be fine. I haven't got much more wrap myself.

I think the stock LS1 alternator is about 120 Amps which is way overkill on a car without much in the way of electrical accessories. Might be good if you had a big stereo but I don't even have a cigarette lighter.

I found my alternator at a Japanese import wrecker. They let me sort through a 44 gallon drum of miscelaneous alternators till I found one I liked.

Funny you should mention a carburettored intake looking better... Have a look at the induction setup I'm running now.

Manifold4.jpg

Cheers

Michael

Wow. Sort of the best of both worlds. Really matches the Cobra look too. I have thought about moving the coil packs off the engine like you have them, but putting them in the stock location is probably the most convienient place to put them on a Z.

Those GMPP intakes are suppose to flow like crazy. Quite a few guys on LS1tech.com running huge numbers with those intakes converted to FI.

are you running PCV vents off the valley cover and the valve covers? Or is that back tube a balance tube?

This one is the Edelbrock Victor Jr but it's almost identicle to the GMPP intake except it uses the stock port O rings. I prefered that to the gaskets used on the GMPP intake.

I'm expecting it to make over 400HP at the rear wheels once the cam goes in. I've got a MS4 from Texas speed along with some dual springs, Ti retainers and molly push rods. At the same time it'll get a ported LS6 oil pump, a set of ARP rod bolts and an LS2 corvette sump I picked up. That should gain me nearly an inch of ground clearance over the Camaro sump on it now.

The PVC runs off the LS6 valley plate. I re drilled where the barb comes out to better suit the manifold. The PCV valve is in line. The line off the rocker cover runs to the air cleaner as a filtered air source for the crank case. It pretty much duplicates the crank case ventilation of the stock motor.

Cheers

Michael

• 2 years later...