HybridZ

240z floor removing the old ordering the new

Ok guys First of all sorry there is a post out there with this topic I didn't see it I looked long and hard.

I'm going to be cutting out the floor pans for my Z soon and was wondering what advice i can get from those who have already went through this experience. I'm also looking to order replacement floor pans and supports from datsunzparts.com has anyone done any bussiness with these guys before? any feed back would be nice thanks for your time.

I need to do the same thing. But I haven't delt with datsunzparts.com before.

As for advice. I say tack bracing on the inside. When you deal with anything structural like floor pans, it is always a good idea to keep the car geometry straight. just get some scrap tubing and brace the inside using tack welds.

I didn't need to replace my floors so I can't really help you there. But I have ordered from datsunzparts (Zedd Findings) and they are top notch. Most of the Z parts retailers get their sheet metal stuff from them. You can also get better pricing getting parts straight from DZP!

Also, search around. If you're going to be replacing the floor pans anyways, this might be a good time to add some strength to the sub frame.

Do one side at a time. Cut as little out as possible and fit and refit the parts going in. Take your time. Remember, cut out as little as possible. Don't go hog wild with a sawzall. Get the replacement parts in hand before you start cutting. Zedd finding is a top notch outfit.

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing back an old thread, because I will be ordering their floors soon for my car, and I didn't feel like starting a new thread about an old topic.

This cutting and shaping, is it just so that the new floors will fit up against the contour of the original floor?

how should i support the car, if I don't end up doing the tack bracing? Support by the suspension or the chassis?

If you don't tack in supports, get the car supported by jackstands in as many places as possible. (On a level floor, of course.) Always cut out as little as possible to start, you can always cut more later if you need to. Also, leave enough original material to allow overlap with the replacement panel. It's WAY easier to do a lap weld than a butt weld, plus you won't need to be as precise on the trimming. Don't be afraid of having to do small patch panels if the rusty panel is bigger than the new panel. One final note. BEFORE you weld your new panel in place, test fit the frame rail/floor support pieces. Make sure they fit flat against the new floor. It's a bitch to form that support to any curve in the floor. Ask me how I know!