HybridZ

first time paint job engine bay

Buzz

Hi: This is the first time I painted anything,after waiting about a year for a friend to come over and paint it .I said what the hell I can't wait any longer summer will be over.I have to get the engine back in!!!I missed out on driving it last summer. It's a 77 z L28 moded tripple webers. So now the engine bay is painted , It wasn't that hard, I bought a good Gun And read a lot of foums.It came out good no runs. Here are some shots. Thanks to Hybid z paint fourm. What do you think? It's actualy blue metalic pic's look greenish blue just lighting. paint code #305

Thanks MIKE

470_thumb.attach

471_thumb.attach

472_thumb.attach

That looks very nice. I'm undertaking the same right now. I done something stoopid years ago and sprayed mine with that rubberized undercoat.

I've since pulled my new, never started motor back out so that I can do what you did.

I can't see installing a nice new motor in your Z with a butt ugly engine bay....

I bought one of these sand blasters> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38375 to try and get all that undercoating off. I tried it a little the other day, and it appears to work good enough to blast it clean. Then I can make mine look as good as yours...

j.

If you're just looking for some words of encouragement, I'll give them to you...

WOW, That looks great! Nice work, especially for a beginner. You made that look like a pro did it.

You gonna paint the whole car?

Thank's guys makes me want to get this done.yeah thats the same engine bay, started about 10am done about4:30pm.PPG DBU paint and clear and gfg 670 gun worked real well Like I knew what I was doing! Not to bad for a beginer.

looks really good.. you should be ready to tackle the car... just remember to keep a wet edge.. and you'll probably find the hood and roof are the hardest pieces to paint as a beginner. Just go steady and take your time like you did that bay and it should come out looking like a winner.

-Ed

Compared to the engine bay flat panels should be easy,It's tuff crawling around in there trying not to tuch any thing that you just painted behind you.
I know from first hand experience how tough it is to paint the engine bay. Looks like you did a great job and looking forward to seeing the whole car painted.

Would the hood still be tough with it standing upright? (against the wall or whatever)

no it will not. This is how i paint all my hoods usually. To be honest... I actually hung mind from the celing so i could paint both sides on my first hood. It's kinda tricky cause you tend to want to paint the top first... which you can... but if you don't tape if off when it's dry.. then when you paint the back... you get overspray on the front again. You can paint it all at once... or paint the back first... let it dry up a little... paint the top... then the clear doesn't matter as much because the PPG DBU/DBC clear you using levles out pretty good as long as you give a wet coat.

-Ed