HybridZ

Seeking HUB adapter INFO!!!!

Looking for info on hub adapters, who sells them, what they cost...

I'm weighing my wheel options here and I'm really wanting a set of wheels that are wide enough for the tire I want to run and have enough backspacing!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

What do you think of the Cobra R wheel? It is 17x9 with a 6" backspace and run about $700/set or less if you search the large Mustang BBs. With the Fords, you have the option of 2 adaptors, 4x4.5 to 4x4.25 or 4x4.5 to 5x??. I just bought a pair of like-new Welds Draglites 15x8 with 4.5" backspace with 275/50-15 BFG DRs for $240 + $50 shipping. Turns out the Mustang needs a 5.5" backspace and the tires rub and he could not unload them (in his limited Mustang World). It seems this is a common mistake by the 5.0 crowd and so with some searching and patience, there are bargains to be had.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

I personally like the Cobra R style wheel and would love to get my hands on a set. Guess I'm gonna have to decide if I'm gonna stay four lug or convert to 5 lug. I just got new rear rotor so those would have to be considered a loss as well...

Mike

------------------

mjk

Evan seems to have had good luck with the spacer/adapter route. as long as you dont consider changing rims again in the future thats probably the way to go..

and the $225? a pr or so he mentioned seems like a good price. i could make them but not for any less so better to go with the ones he's used

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

Go 5lug Mike :-) And if you go with an R wheel do not get the knockoffs. Excessive has had a bunch of Mustangs come through there with the cheapo's and Chris says he can tell the difference as soon as he goes to pull the wheel. One hurts his back, the other doesn't - guess which ones don't!

Also look at some of th eregualr Cobra wheels. I don't think they are quite as wide but they look pretty nice too. The RX7 parts board - www.thepartstrader.com always has suspension stuff for sale. There's also a Z board there but it's almost all late model stuff - like 5lug wheels smile.gif Not sure what I'm going with yet but will try my Mustang wheels on for size, probably a late model Cobra wheel, and possibly the Konig Tantrums off of the RX7 just to see.

With 5lugs you can get 300Z, RX7, Mustang, or Supra wheels and probably more. A shame GM wheels won't work too...

I talked to the guy that made Evan's spacers, you can contact him at:

A71240Z@aol.com

He quoted me $200US for a set of 4, plus shipping. This was to go from the stock datsun pattern to a 4x100mm setup. And includes studs.

Ross Corrigan also has some connections for slip on style spacers that seemed like a good price.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

quote:

Originally posted by Mikelly:

Looking for info on hub adapters, who sells them, what they cost...

I'm weighing my wheel options here and I'm really wanting a set of wheels that are wide enough for the tire I want to run and have enough backspacing!

Mike

No loss on your rotors Mike, you can drill 4 more holes in them and they'll work just as they did before:-) http://content.communities.msn.ca/isapi/fetch.dll?action=get_album&ID_Community=RossCorriganspicspicsandmorepics&ID_Topic=3

is some pics I put up a while ago, no time to organize but some of my 5 lug stuff is on their, what's missing is my front hubs and slip on spacers, if you have a friendly machinist that may be your best bet. I have a .tiff file somewhere with an ACAD dwg you can use as is or alter around somewhere. If doing calc's, ARP studs are not 3" threaded length and allow ~1.5" spacer max if a rotor is included on that stud just FWIW. I actually feel safer with proper slipons as it's easy to torque the outer nuts and know it's all dead tight. With bolt ons you truly don't have a way of verifying the inner nuts are tight w/o wheel removal, just my .02c and slip ons allow more variation in wheel spacing (tire width variation for same size is surprisingly large too)

good luck

You guys mind if I chime in here?

First, unless you are making it so you DONT need an adapter or spacer, why switch to five lug? Seems kinda unnesicary to me.

Second, SCCA, you dont have to replace the adapters every time you want to change rims. If you adapt to a 4x100 every wheel you will find will fit onto the thing. I didnt have to get a new set but my rims were worth more money to a z person WITH the adapters.

I have had really good luck with my adapters and my car. Honestly, i hate to say it but mike i would almost advise against an adapters setup on your car. The problem is you are putting BIG tires on your ride. I have no fear of breaking an adapter on my car because i only have 245 touchin the ground in all four corners. I know ross runs adapters with 5 lug on his ride, talk to him. I know the adapters didnt effect handing or anything of that sort.

Price is 200 for a full set with studs, if you throw a couple more pennies at him im sure he can press in ARP studs. WHich i am having done asap.

Im sorry if my post seems contradictory but if mike blows apart an adapter i dont want that on my consience.. personally i would run them but thats my ass im risking. Not someone elses.

IF anyone needs to know anything or has questions feel free to drop me an email or post on the forum. Please start a new thread though and put my name in the title, that way i wont miss it!

Good luck- Evan

Guest Anonymous

Considering the speed Mikelly is talking about running (180+), I would have to agree with Evan. Not worth the risk to run adapters, they may be fine, but what if they're not at 180 mph?

IMHO,

Lone

wow $200 for all 4 is less than i thought -

Evan, when i meant changing rims i was thinking more of IF the offset changes then the adapters are no good. if you always stay with 37mm or whatever then that doesnt matter. if you went from rx7 rims to stang and they were different offsets then the adapters wouldnt work for both rims.

i agree with most of the prev. posts. i would use them on a L6 daily driver but not a "animal" L6 or v8 car..... i just would rather go with ARP studs and spacers...

same thinking as RossC...

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

All very good points!

Thanks guys... Not sure what I will do now. Centerline wheels are gonna run me about $960 for the set which is 17X9.5 and are superlite (just shipped some 15X8s and two per box weighed 35# including packing matterial!) and quality is good on them. I was trying to get Ross' MOMOs to workout which would cause me to convert to 5 lug, which isn't bad except I was trying to get everything and get it done for about $800, which won't happen. If I have to spend $900 and take the time to convert to 5 lug, might as well buy the right wheel to fit my existing pattern instead!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Mike, I agree with you. If you can get wheels in the right offset and size with a style and weight you're happy with, then why not? If you upgrade to 1/2" ARP studs, that should be plenty of strength with "just" 4 studs.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

There are a great # of rim and tire dealers around the country and possibly in your area that can custom drill rims. there is one i think they are called colorado rim specialties who i know have done rims for Z-owners in the past. you may want to do a little research on this option as well

------------------

Have you had your Z-8 today?

FastDriver,

I've checked with those guys and with Weld Racing as well... Both are expensive. The reason I was looking at hub adapters was strictly cost. It would be nice to get the wheels I want and the tires I want in a package price... Not likely though... and what really cheeses me off is the fact that the wheel making community has all but abandoned the Zcar. Few wheel makers will custom make your bolt and backspacing for a Z. Centerline is one of a handfull that will. The 17X9.5 Aztec that I will likely buy is $239 through Summit Racing. Would have been nice to get it a little cheaper!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

What's that Aztec weigh Mike? That sounds like a fair price for a a light strong wheel. My momo's aren't heavy but I'm sure you want the lightest wheels you can get for max handling and hp for your 180mph goals. Oh yeah, what profile treads you planning to run? (wondering what weight penalty you might give up going 17's instead of 16's, RX7TT's out east racing fell behind their 16" equals with slower speed at the end of straights and greater braking distance requirements, when they strictly went to 17's with a mild weight penalty, having given up their great light/strong OE 16" rims). Probably not a factor with your hp but at 180mph I'm not sure how significant many things are eek.gif

But the one thing I never mentioned that applies more to some others than Mike's situation....I went with 5 lug and adaptors for the ease of running MULTIPLE sets of wheels and acquiring them cheaply. I have two sets now, identical 16x8's I got cheap and so suspension can all stay at same settings if I have my R compounds or streets on or all seasons (yes it snow a day or two up here). It's also very easy to act on the deals ricers often throw away (like both my sets of rims:-) whether you want their rims/tires or both....if you might get into two or more tire/wheel setups it can payoff in tire swapping changes and inconvenience real fast IMO. Saves on risk of damage to the wheels by tire monkey's as well:-) Just food for thought whether you're looking at 16/17/18's etc, deals are out their and if you can easily change b/t setups (I could bolt on a 17x8 zero offset or up to +55 this afternoon for ie. in the v. common 5x4.5 pattern, just wish GM was on that tooo).

[This message has been edited by Ross C (edited December 12, 2000).]

Ross,

ALL very good points. I used to swap a lot of wheels and tires out when I did road events and autocrosses. The Aztec is about 18-19# which is great. However, the rubber us where I will take the hit. If I notice a huge stopping issue, I will be upgrading to 13 inch brakes, which I'll probably do anyway, just for safety sake! Interesting info about those RX7s you mention. I'd have loved to gotten your MOMOs, but getting that third wheel and converting lug patterns was more than I was wanting to deal with.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk