HybridZ

Twin turbo SBC powered Z32 (56k beware)

Thanks guys, it's still a work in progress, but it's getting there..

The new turbos are T3/T4 hybrids with a .82 exhaust and .70 compressor housing.. These turbos should be able to support about 1000hp, not saying that I'll make it there though..

Once the engine is broken in and my water injection setup is on, I'll start cranking the boost until I get close to maxxing my injectors and WI setup.. Then back it off a little.. :)

Cheers,

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

First time I've cleaned the car since I bought it I think.. heh heh.. Had it out today a few times.. It ate my MSD ignition module a couple weeks ago and the stock one I have in there now sucks.. Sputters, bogs, etc.. Ahh well, we'll fix that..

Oh, and shaved the ponies off the center caps too.. Maybe that'll make it work better.. ;)

300zx_above.jpg

300zx_angle.jpg

300zx_front.jpg

300zx_ground.jpg

300zx_side.jpg

Also have one of these on the way too..

527.jpg

My engine has been together waaay too long.. :)

Kevin - Right now I'm running an off-the-shelf Performer RPM cam from Edelbrock.. It was the only thing I could get quickly with a wide LSA at the time.. Eventually want a custom turbo roller, but that'll have to wait..

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Decided that I wanted the stock dash to work instead of trying to stuff a 5" monster tach, 5" monster speedo, 2-5/8 fuel level gauge and assorted lights in that area..

Took the tach and speedo out of the dash and they both had a trim pot on the back side.. (score! thought I'd have to add one)

Built a square wave generator with a 555 timer and was able to set the tach to my Autometer tach..

Trim pot

tach_pot.jpg

Tachs and circuit..

dash_1.jpg

Also played with a hall effect sensor I picked up at Princess Auto and the stock speedo.. The speedo's pot does not have as big of an adjustment range as the tach, so I may have to do some fudging when I get it hooked to the trans...

dash_2.jpg

Other than that, still waiting for the boost controller and MSD 6A..

Later,

BRAAP - Figured you might be interested in that little bit of info.. Was going to send it along in a PM as well..

sweetride2go - Thanks.. Made my log manifolds from some stainless tubing.. Want to make individual runner headers, but that's a lot of reworking.. Some day..

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, so I guess I'll update..

Got the Speedo reading perfect, which is a pretty good considering the number of gear combinations that could have been inside my transmission..

Got the car weighed.. It came in at a beefy 3395, which is actually 10lbs LESS than the average 2+2, non turbo, 5 speed.. The autos are 40 - 50lbs heavier again.. My Z28 weighed the same amount before I tore it down..

Installed a set of these:

kyb_agx.jpg

Very awesome.. Have them set on the hardest settings all around, but she still squats hard when I get on it.. Guess that may have something to do with these... (Happy birthday to me! Present from the wife)

mt_et_radials_1.jpg

mt_et_radials_2.jpg

Oh yea, picked up a wing off a Twin Turbo as well..

I have my water injection set up, but am still working some bugs out and trying to source some Methanol to try.. Also got the Greddy EBC installed and boy what a handy unit.. Currently have low boost at 10 and high at 13.. Turning it off nets the stock 6lbs.. Don't want to go too far into the teens without some water and/or methonal to stave off detonation..

That's all for now...

Cheers,

Thanks for the update, Twin Turbo. Car is looking the business with the tires, wheels, and body work---wing looks good too. I suspect the wing may actually help aerodynamically, although I'm exactly the person to know that! :D Keep up the good work and let us know about some numbers when you get 'em :2thumbs: Video is nice too :mrgreen:

Davy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Firion_13 - All the trim pot on the back of the gauge basically does is offset the voltage going to the meter to calibrate it..

Well, got my headgaskets under control (blew both of them to peices a month ago.. lol) Bought a set of Felpro multi layer steel gaskets.. The engine will melt and die before these give.. Good or goblin, who cares, I'm tired of changing them! lol

Got a few tries at the dyno when it was here a few weeks ago.. Unfortunatly I was having issues at full boost.. The dyno loads the engine probably 50% more than it would normally driving on the highway.. I was having my spark blow out at full boost.. You can see it at about 5000 rpm it starts going stupid..

Turns out I was drinking too much the last time I installed my spark plugs.. 1 gapped at .031, 5 at .037 and 1 at .047!!!! I think the one gapped at .047 was probably a plug I broke while installing it and grabbed another and put it in its' place.. For anyone who doesn't know, anything over .032 is very very bad for a boosted engine..

300zx_on_dyno.jpg

graph_1.jpg

graph_2.jpg

Video of both sessions

http://camaro.ath.cx/300zx/dyno/300zx_dyno_1.wmv

http://camaro.ath.cx/300zx/dyno/300zx_dyno_2.wmv

Thinking hard of taking it back to the dyno before the snow flies to see if the new plugs gapped at .022 will straighten stuff out.. It is a 4 hour drive though, so I may just wait till spring when they come back to the city for a day.. The car works fine on the highway, but again, it doesn't get loaded like it does on the dyno..

Cheers,