HybridZ

burned out O2 sensor heaters

Anybody have any ideas on what would make a car burn out the O2 sensor heaters?

Last year my wife's 2001 Toyota Sienna had the heating elements go out on both primary O2 sensors. They went out 1 at a time within 2 weeks of each other. Two weeks after that I got the smog check notice, so had to fix them. Today, only 12,000 miles later, the computer threw error codes for BOTH heaters at the same time.

This van has the wide band types. At $250 EACH from Toyota ($300 each for the Bosch units at Autozone) I do not want to replace them until I know what is going on.

What the F could cause both heaters to go out at the same time? All I have is the codes right now, but the ones I took out last year are open circuits when checked with an ohm meter.

The van seems to run fine. Any chance I could splice a 1.2 ohm resistor in place of the heaters and not have the engine run bad?

you might also think about if youve used alot of injector cleaner products or if the engines starting too burn oil, (rings, valve seals) as alot of residue on the o2 sensors tends to make them run hotter just like the CATS under those conditions

check this relay, maybe it's stuck in the on position. Maybe you can set it on some kind of timer to go off after 9 minutes of driving?

Man, I owe you big. My POS Chilton manual didn't show an A/F relay or fuse. The manual made it look like the thing was powered directly off the ECU. Thought maybe your diagram was for a different car. But I poked around anyway and found the blown 25 amp fuse.

$2.82 for 5 fuses and the light is out. Let's see if this holds up. Sure beats $500+

Thanks. After what I went through last year I overlooked the obvious.

BTW, those heaters draw some amps. The Chilton manual listed the resistance as 1.2 ohm at 68° and 3.4 ohms at 1472°. Thats 10 amps-120 watts per heater. Those suckers get hot!

• 2 weeks later...