HybridZ

Which has more potential the L28 or Vg30et?

Okay Z

Hi,I have never posted on the I6 forum becouse I owned a 84turbo.I recently totaled that[sob]and I am in the market for a Z,I loved my 300zx but I also like the looks of the 240-280 and they go for less than 300zxs.

But which engine is better?I want a street car with around 400RWHP and the ability to beat older corvettes,mustangs and camaroes.

I know there are plenty of people running around 400RWHP on the vg30et but you need to upgrade fuel injectors,portpolish the heads,add turbo and put in a new ecu.The actual engine I am told is very sturdy stock,How does the l28 compare? How much potential does the L28 have?I have seen some wicked L28 Zs.

Which engine would be able to hit 350-400RWHP easier with less work or cost?I know nothing of the L28 turbo.

What are the pros cons of the engines?I tried a search but there was a ton of useless info that came up and there was no general info or faqs about getting high HP numbers with the L28 like there is with the Vg30Et so I'm asking here.

Thank you all.

both engines can reach the 400whp range with just bigger turbo, FMIC, more fuel (at this level that usually means stand alone AFRP and larger injectors, for the L28ET, I believe the VG30ET can be remapped to work with the new injectors and turbo) and free flowing intake and exhaust, the VG puts the weight further back and might weigh a bit less, at 400whp the pistons are maxed out on the L28Et as they came with forged pistons, upgrade the pistons add a metal HG and ARP head studs and the L28 car get, I am gonna guess the newer VG engine came with forged pistons? if so that would tend to take more of a beating till they give way

and 400whp in a 2400lb datsun is gonna smoke most mustangs camaro's and the like on the street, that should have you well into the mid-high 11's

The vg30et has slightly more displacement and has a better top-end. It can be made to handle 500hp on a stock block while a l28 is maxed out around 400hp. There are exceptions but this is usually the case. If you have the choice and don't mind the extra hassle of putting a vg into a early z then go there. But the l28 just drops in while the vg there are slight modifications. Good luck.

I stand corrected on the VG pistons, and keep in mind thumpers numbers are wheel hp! the big question is what is your end goal, the L28ET is the cheapest easiest way to 400whp and 11 second time slips but being that it bolts right in, the VG might offer a bit more potential but it's also more difficult to service and you have to worry about the timing belt!

and of course more displacement yields more potential power so there is always the VG33 and of course you can overbore either of them or you can go get a big block, there are soo many ways to make big power it really comes down to what fits your personal goals