HybridZ

Convertible is Finally Painted

SHO-Z

I have finally painted the Z. The when I did the conversion I painted it my self. Was considering it again then found a paint shop that was having a sale on and decided to just get it done. Now after 5 years of not driving the Z I guess I need to pass the AZ emissions test, fails bad a idle, and wait until fall to drive it when the temp drops out of the HELL range.

It is sort of "OLD SCHOOL" of course I am OLD TOO!!!!!!!!!!

zz9.jpg

zz8.jpg

zz7.jpg

zz6.jpg

zz5.jpg

zz4.jpg

I have a TR7 top bows but no top. It took to long to get this far. I might go by and see John Washington and see if one of his hard tops is close to fitting. I have wanted to paint the car this color since I saw I on a Mustang. After seeing your engine bay pictures, I will keep my hood closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice...

I am a little on the fence about the Z's as convertibles.... At first I wanted to build one... but I am not much of a convertible fan... BUT those examples above are very tempting. :D and the 1st Gen Z's look good as drop tops. :confused:

now I don't know what I want to build :D

I am seriously digging the 'hurricane' style rims. Any info on your wheel choice?

They were on the car when I bought it from my sister inlaw. They were completely black from dirt and brake dust. I sand blasted them and polished them out. I really do not know if I am going to keep them, thinking of installing wheel addapters and Mustang rims.

That is very nice indeed. You did a great job. I like the vent behind the front tires and the spoiler. I am looking for a spoiler like that for my Z. It looks to be quite a bit taller than the stock BRE spoiler that I see around. Did you make it or is it available somewhere? I have a 76 280 that I am in the process of converting to a V-8 and installing the YZ body on, and I am need a rear spoiler like that.

• 8 months later...

Sho,

I talked to John Washington last week. He is working on making a convertible top for the VRs. He said the top should fit the convertible Zs also. I also have a TR7 bow frame and haven't got time to modifying it for my ZX yet. So I am waiting for John's top and hope it fits my ZX convertible also. The car looks good BTW.

BARACU,

Where in PA are you at? I would like to check the dimensions of a convertible Z to see they are the same as my ZX. If so then I have a good chance of getting John's convertible top.

Here is mine:

768663_169_full.jpg

768663_130_full.jpg

768663_167_full.jpg

Al,

I can see yours is much differ than mine. The area behind the seats on your car is very small. I don't think you can put any a convertible top on your car. The bow frame will sit on the trunk when you fold the top down. I am going to give some more thought into modifying this TR7 frame to fit my Z.

Al,

I can see yours is much differ than mine. The area behind the seats on your car is very small. I don't think you can put any a convertible top on your car. The bow frame will sit on the trunk when you fold the top down. I am going to give some more thought into modifying this TR7 frame to fit my Z.

Vin: When I built the car,I designed it ,specifically, not to have a top. I had a 911 Porsche Targa for 17 years and for the last 7 years, that I had it, the top was never on. Besides, my V8 Z has a top (hehe). The only annoyance that i've had , has been the wind buffetting from the rear and hitting me in the back of the head. I made a temporary plexi windscreen that fit behind the seats and that has helped tremendously. In fact, I went to the NJ Z club show in the fall . Temps were in the low 40's in the morning, I had a ski sweater and baseball cap on and was not uncomfortable on a 120 mile trip. Of course, people looked at me like I was nuts! AL