HybridZ

L28 Turbo Kit

Was wondering if anyone was familar with this sort of thing,

I recently bought an L28 Turbo kit, its like new in box, but was made in 1983 - when i asked around these things were like dealer optional, like if you bought a car and got air-con installed by the dealer - not factory, but dealer aftermarket,

Anyways, its a Sanyo turbo-charger, dosent run an intercooler and apparently is supposed to be for the N/A L28 with EFI - run with really low boost, turns the L28 into a little torque monster,

To install it im going to have to run a feed/return oil line for the turbo, and it dosent come with a dump pipe & a "hobbs" switch, this switch apparently is inline between the temp sensor and the ecu - so when you get the car on boost it tricks the ECU into thinking the engine is cold and richens up the mixture,

Anyone ever used or bought one of these kits or have any experience with this at all,

I have been doing some reading and was wondering if im missing anything about its installation - im bolting it straight onto an 1982 N/A L28 engine,

Sounds very similar to the BAE Turbo Kit I installed on my '77 280Z almost 30 years ago.

this switch apparently is inline between the temp sensor and the ecu - so when you get the car on boost it tricks the ECU into thinking the engine is cold and richens up the mixture' date='

[/quote']

My recommendation is to not use this scheme for on-boost fuel enrichment if you want to keep your pistons in one piece. It was fine with 7 psi and 96 octane gas, but when I started to turn up the boost it was bye-bye ring lands. Probably is totally unusable with today's pump gas octane levels.

I found a bloke locally who said he used to put these on dealer cars in the early 80's, said it was about a 5hr turn-around, very straight forward to install - turned the engine into a real little torque monster and came on boost quiet early,

He said DONT run more than 6psi, otherwise the engine will not like it at all,

At the moment, its just a really cheap way to get some more HP, maybe get around the 200HP at the flywheel mark (from 160HP i think is what it made from factory in AUS),

Later plans would be to pull the engine, rebuild it will lower compression, do some headwork with approiate cam, run a decent sized inter-cooler, bigger turbo, throttle body, injectors & fuel pump & 3" system the whole way through, get rid of the 3spd auto and slap in a 5spd from an SR20/RB20DET engine,

But im poor at the moment and this seemed like a really decent deal,

Dont know what its like over there, but i can readily get my hands on 92-96-98 octane petrol, just cost's a f#ckload!!! like $1.15US/Litre - think that equates to $4.5US/Gallon for 98 octane,

Dont know what its like over there, but i can readily get my hands on 92-96-98 octane petrol, just cost's a f#ckload!!! like $1.15US/Litre - think that equates to $4.5US/Gallon for 98 octane,

thats not that bad! here in So. CA area, premium (92 octane) is over $3.50/gal!

Guest 280ZForce
thats not that bad! here in So. CA area, premium (92 octane) is over $3.50/gal!

where is 92 octane in So Cal? u must mean 91 octane....that's the premium here. and yeah over $3.50 a gallon is right! BS...stupid gas prices!

there is a local z shop here in tampa called z-docs. the guy brent there showed me two different turbo "kits" he had laying around, one looked like a custom job based around the zxt manifold, and the other sounded more like this one you've got that used an adapter in place of the stock manifold downpipe to mount the turbo to the stock system. both were vintage used parts, and when i asked how much, he played the whole "i don't know, make me an offer" bit. since i thought it was really cool he showed me all around the shop, i didn't want to insult him with an offer that was too low. they looked pretty cool though.

if it's a header, no. the l28 exhaust manifold had like a plenum on it, that ended in a three bolt flange that was easy to make an adapter for. you'd be looking at making a custom manifold to replace the header unless you did one of these:148_0502_turbo_13_z.jpg

I was thinking of somewthing like that...but right at the end of the header... Imagine the boost lag from that setup...I heard someone say that there is no more lag but when you try to compress air it compresses fairly easily so when the turbo would be pumping full boost then the front of the car would take some time to get the full boost from the back of the car...

That Turbo kit you got your hands on was actually made by a company called Sanyo-Kiki. I have the original brochure from them, they made aftermarket kits for a whole bunch of Toyotas and Datsun/Nissans including sidedraft manifolds and carbs and blow through carb turbo systems. They sadly went bankrupt in the late '80s with more and more companies turbocharging their cars from the factory and with less people wanting to buy sidedraft carbs.

I can post some pics of the brochure if you like.

VERY rare piece you have!!!

Yasin

that kit i posted came from squire turbo systems. my issue with it aside from water splashing on your toasty hot turbo, into your wastegate, and into your nice filter(which on that car, has nothing blocking it from the rear tire), is the super long delivery and return lines for the oil. unless you use one of those aerochargers that you fill with oil for 20k miles and then drain and refill it...

they say you don't need an intercooler, and that you can get more boost from what would otherwise be an undersized turbo because it's so far back in the system it doesn't build up heat as fast as it would near the front. i'm not sure i buy into it, but i did see a late model camaro with one on the street that sounded crazy and looked to be pretty fast. but here in florida? you think texas gets rain, come on down for a swim.

"That Turbo kit you got your hands on was actually made by a company called Sanyo-Kiki"

Thats the one :-),

Post some pics of the brochure, that would be great :-),

Sorry i didnt get over to my old man's house last night so no pics of this yet, hopefully will have something tonight posted,

But from memory the way it mounts is a little "U" pipe that comes straight of the factory exhaust manifold to mount the turbo - then a pipe straight into the intake,

Will have to work out the oil feed/return line,

I was planning on getting a T piece from where the oil sender unit mounts - then running a copper line to the turbo (probably around the front of the engine - maybe the back depending on space) then running a return line straight down into the highest possible point of the sump

yup, that's the kit i saw at z-docs alright. he said he had it on his sister's car for years until it blew up, and it was actually on a motor that was out of a car when i saw it. if anybody is in the tampa area and wants one of these, give brent a call, he should still have it laying around...

• 1 month later...