HybridZ

Help Identify please

Ok, so now my car won't even start. I'm thinking whatever this thing is (see pic below) could be the problem. When I was leaing water it looked like it was coming from here, so I pulled it off, only to have oil rain down, my bad. I should have known better and looking back it should have been obvious that it was ties into the oil system. Lucky me I had a bucket near by.

So I put it back on quickly and bolted it back on. Once I found the leak from the water pump and changed it out and got it all put back together it didn't run right all of a sudden. (plus I was leaking a little bit of oil from this thing I took off).

Now, my car has never ran PERFECT in the past but I'd never had it run THIS bad. So someting definately changed. I'd gone over everything I thought it could be, although I havn't taken my AFM or TPS apart to see how they look on the inside.

So I took this thing off again in order to stop the leak. The gasket had one small crack so I just cleaned everything up real good and used some gasket repair spray. Now the car won't even start! And this is the only thing I'd changed.

Ideas anyone? Could the AMF or TPS be going down hill that fast? Or could messing with this thing that I have no idea of what it does be the source of my problems?

whatisit3re.jpg

Joking right? So you pulled the oil pump out and now it no longer starts. Well the oil pump is mechanical driven from the shaft that ends up to the Distributor. Did you happen to puch very hard on the oil pump when you installed it? As in pushing the shaft up and causing it to break something in the distributor, or case the shaft pinion to disengage, or did you remove the shaft? Looks like you will need to remove the distributor and the oil pump again and make sure that the engine is set back to TDC and realign the shaft according to the owners manual (I don't remember the way it should look at this time). The easy way to keep the shaft in place is with a flat screw driver from the top to slightly wedge it. Once you have done that insert the oil pump carefully, slowly rotate it back and forth to make sure you have the oil pump seated all the way onto the shaft. Once you have tightened the bolts holding the oil pump in place you can put the distributor back in place. I am guessing you either removed the shaft or you let it drop so it would spin freely.

I didn't break anything, that's for sure. And I didn't remove the shaft.

I guess it's possible that the shaft isn't sitting up as high as it should thus spinning freely. I assumed once I got it all lined up and I was able to easily put the pump back on that it would be fully enguaged.

I don't have an owners manual and none of the local auto shops have on in stock. I've got access to alldata so I might check for information there. I don't know how to check for TDC

EDIT: Oh yea, now that you mention oil pump I feel like an idiot. Oil pump, duh. I'll be banging my head about that one for a while.

EDIT: Oh yea, now that you mention oil pump I feel like an idiot. Oil pump, duh. I'll be banging my head about that one for a while.

Haha, it's only slightly amusing that you know what an AFM and a TPS is but didn't know what that one thing was. :shock::mrgreen:

Once you get the thing timed right again make sure and fill it up with oil!