HybridZ

Pathfinder...any opinions?

Tim240z

I have trouble believing that

A 2? My stepdad has had his used jeep for 3 years and it runs just as well as when he bought it. I wonder how many people they used for that statistic. Either way i guess people's experinces may vary when it comes to trucks

One of my best buddies has a jeep as well as my neighbor. I believe they're both around 01 or 02 models. The drivetrains are great, the rest of the truck is a pos according to these guys. They seem to have the same problems with the vehicles.

I saw several reviews from the automotive press/web reviews etc, and ALL of them said (and rated) the Jeep as very bad in the reliability department. This worried me. Once review site actually said that the Jeep was a good buy if you could have a tow truck follow you everywhere! Again, this got me thinking against the Jeep.

However, I asked LOTS of Jeep Cherokee owners (here and elsewhere), even stopping folks in parking lots when I saw they had one. Not one of them had any major issues....the odd water pump, alternator, fuel pumps etc. All had 150k+ miles on them......the above issues are normal maintenance issues IMHO.

Well....the fact that I bought a Jeep speaks for itself....

Tim

Congrats on the WJ Tim! I think you definitely made the right choice, although my opinion is heavily biased here.The bad reliability rating must come from all the electrical gremlins these have. Although the drivetrain and chassis are holdovers from when Jeep was still Jeep, the electrical system is all Chrysler, hence the gremlins. I have no problem at all jumping in my jeep and driving it on a long distance road trip, I know I'll get there. I just don't expect to get anything more than the occasional blip from the fuel gauge telling me I still have gas. For the most part it just sits below the empty mark, even on a full tank. I think stopping the production of the Cherokee in favor of the Liberty was probably one of the stupidest moves in Chryslers history of stupid moves. Putting IFS on the new 05 Grand Cherokee's ranks up there pretty high too....

Mike

BTW Mike....thanks for the links' date=' but this one is staying tame....no mods.

Tim[/quote']

Wow, that looks pretty nice Tim. I'm jealous now :) I'd be pretty hesitant to put it under the knife/sawzall too after seeing it. Keep those links handy though, you never know when a freak hailstorm could show up and ruin the body on it, making the transition to rock crawler just that much easier..... :)

Mike

i owned both a '93 Cherokee and now own an '05 Pathy. The 4.0 in the Jeep is bulletproof and generates great power for towing and for cruising on the freeway at 80 on those summer roadtrips. i sold the vehicle at 43K miles and bought a new XE-V6 4x4 hardbody in part because I wanted a pickup but for two smaller reasons as well...on the Jeep the fit and finish of the interior and alot of the body panels was subpar which made me wonder how well the rest of it was put together, and the clutch slave cylinder went out at 37k miles. In retrospect I'm still happy with the decision to sell it but I wish the Hardbody I bought had that I-6 in it that's for sure. that Jeep was a mountain goat too...it's just able to go alot of places other 4WDs couldn't.