HybridZ

Boost does not kick in like usual

Guest moonbiker

Guest moonbiker

Before i get shot for not knowing things, please bear with this ex-biker who recently entered the world of turbo cars...i.e. 'noob' in layman terms...:eek:

Got a 280zx fitted with an RB25DET Auto...most of the stuff is stock, cept for the Apexi air filter...bout a few days ago, noticed the oil pressure needle won't go down (it used to move whenever i step on the gas)...then, turbo started acting strange...usually, it kicks in above 3000rpm and gets stronger all the way up to 6,000rpm...

But now, i can't even feel the kick, and it comes in 'softly' all the way until 6000rpm (the boost is there, just not as strong or horny). Other symptoms/signs - no white smoke (so turbo should be ok), engine sounds fine, no overheating at radiator.

Just changed engine oil to Castrol RS 10W60 after the problem developed...but no improvement whatsoever.

Could someone please end my misery?

Thanks for all the help i can get!:D

What type of oil pressure gauge is it? OEM? if so where is it stuck. All the way up? halfway? Look for it to be disconnected or grounded out. Also sounds like you don't have a boost gauge I would highly recommend it for safety reasons and so you can diagnose such a problem much easier. One way to tell if the turbo is the culprit is too remove the intake tube from the turbo (air filter side) and move the shaft up/down and side/side. If it has more than alittle jiggle of movement then that might be the problem. Good luck.

Possibility of these two being related is there but not likely. Definately check the shaft play on the turbo and actually taking it off and having it checked would be ideal. Check the vacuum lines and see if your losing any pressure, especially going into the wastegate. Going to 10w60 isn't really a good thing, the oil needs to be slicker/lighter in a turbo car unlike N/A vehicles. Oil sending units also can get clogged especially if the car sat for any length of time. That could cause the symptom you were noticing.

Guest moonbiker

Your replies are most appreciated...finally, some answers that can allay my fears somewhat.

Will certainly look into the suggestions when i visit my mech - hopefully this weekend...won't dare to do it on my own - i have limited knowledge to start mucking around...but, rest assured, i'll be with the mech to learn all i can bout this situation.

Happy z-ing!

(the boost is there, just not as strong or horny

This made me laugh, but in a good way . . .example.

"Man its cold out and my boost is HORNY!"

"Seems like every time I drive that car my HORNY GAUGE is maxed out!"

"Those vacuum leaks just steal all my HORNINESS!"

Guest moonbiker

and finally found out what a vacuum hose was :ugg:

Gonna spend some time this weekend checkin out those darn hoses - i hope it's as simple as a busted hose (and not the turbine or intercooler).

Ahhhh...life could be so much simpler on a bike....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...