HybridZ

Quick Question About DIY Fiberglass Fenders

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

I was thining about doing a cheapie fiberglass fender by just preping a stock fender laying on the glass and pulling it. I realize it would be slightly off but I want to know if anyone has tried it on a fender and made it fit. I could always trim off excess to make it work.

Then again it may be cheaper just to buy a used fender and hood.

Isk

I think I remember the guy jon is talking about, and IIRC, he did only one or two layers on top (just enough to be able to handle the mold) and then he added layers underneath for strength, and so it wouldn't build up anymore.

Guest iskone

That's where I got the idea. Can't remember the guy who did it though. Building up from the back is a good idea. I'm not too concerned with fit and finish but I don't want it to like like total garbage. It will be for the 72' which I plan to keep as a track only car from here on out.

Isk

Guest iskone

I think the car was white but he could have painted it.

What are those covers for? those seem like strange places for a CAI or relwasing heat.

Isk

Guest iskone
you talking about the tail light trim sitting on the engine?

Ehhhhhhh My brain is still in Florida. I swear I think i've slept maybe 40hrs the last 10 or so days.

Isk

I have done what you're talking about. Except that I first built up the fenders with some floral foam to make flares.

First recommendation... don't lay the fiberglass directly over the metal. It will stick pretty tightly. First, take some duct tape and cover the metal, then lay the glass over that. The tape will peel off the metal more easily than the glass would. Less risk of cracking your new piece.

As for what kind of fiberglass to use, using multiple layers will build strength. I used two layers of 7.5 oz. cloth and then topped it off with two layers of 4 oz. cloth. The finer the weave (smaller weight), the less chance that the cloth will "print through" after you paint it. This made a part that is very rigid.

Go slowly and use a stiff bristle brush to blot in the resin, trying your best to keep any bubbles out of the cloth. The more bubbles, the more sanding and filling you will have to do.

I have to credit Terry (BlueOvalZ) for the tips and tricks I learned about doing this sort of thing. Thanks again!

Good luck!

Guest iskone

It sticks on the metal huh. I was planning to use mold release or wax/polish on the metal surface. I don't think I could get a smooth surface with tape. I'll see what other options I have.

Thanks for the tips

Guest iskone

Do you guys think that I'll have problems with 2 layers of the 4oz as far as keeping it's shape when I go to add the 7.5oz from behind?

I thought uscomposites use to sell a kit. I'll be ordering things tomorrow it looks like. I think I'm going to satrt with the hood for a few reasons. It should be easier since it's flatter, saves more weight, if it's very time consuming and a PITA I'll just buy the 1 fender I need.

It is something I've wanted to try for a long time though.

Isk

...why not spay sum on the roof and cook some eggs on it outside while u work ;) this is an awsome idea if i get the money to start a new project car for race only ill def be doing this too. You could prob do this a few times get good at it and sell it to members making track cars too. just an idea. keep us updated.

another alternative to duct tape is aluminum foil applied with light spray adhesive and a plastic spreading tool. then put your mold release of choice on that. the foil is really thin and works well with any contour.

Guest tony78_280z

I made a cowl this way. I used the cheap walmart bondo cloth and resin. I sprayed the original cowl with pam, then put the first layer of the cloth down and only spread resin on the top (not the side touching the metal) then after it dried I peeled it up and put additional layers underneath including some of the heavier matt for stiffness.

The finished piece looked better than the original rusty cowl, but it does have some flaws. I'm pretty sure I can get these fixed the next time.

When I do it again I will put down two layers of the fine cloth before peeling it off of the metal as it lost a little of its shape with just one layer. Also, don't be stingy with the hardener. I learned that lesson the hard way, or not so hard way as it took DAYS for some areas to dry completely. And I do plan to stick to the cheap bondo products. My stuborness I guess.