HybridZ

On the streets of Tokyo speed needs no translation

Trevor

What about Vanishing Point, with Aragorn Son of Arathorn trying to get across country to visit his wife giving birth, and Jason Priestley as the militant radio talk show host egging him on to stick it to the man? "It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar..."

ARRGH! Don't confuse that horrible made for TV abomination with the real movie! The real Vanishing Point (1971) was freakin awesome. I'd like to throttle whoever "re-made" it.

Two Lane Blacktop was a very good movie, but it's not exactly full of explosions and gunfights. If you want that, stick to MI-3 and F&F. It's an independent movie and it's one of the best "car-guy" movies I've ever seen that actually said something.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its all for you damien....you see the omen previews yet? i think the kid who jumps off the building with a rope around his neck was pissed off he had to sit threw fast and ferious 3.

it will bring alot of focus on the drifting scene, but that can go both good and bad..maybe well get more people out to drift events after it is out.

derrick

u.s.drift midwest

its all for you damien....you see the omen previews yet? i think the kid who jumps off the building with a rope around his neck was pissed off he had to sit threw fast and ferious 3.

derrick

u.s.drift midwest

After seeing the movie he probably pulled the E-brake on his honda and all it would do is slow down around the curves.

OMG... Wraith was such a cool movie! I mean, where else do you see a $1,000,000 Ford Prototype that never saw any other real publicity?

And come on. You had to like the shot of a corvette smashing through headstones in the cemetary... He apparently had the "hardened" fiberglass bodied corvette... :)

Ahh, Two Lane Blacktop. People still remember that movie. While a little slow at times, it was a true to life story, people b.s-ing and in the end, nothing really happens. If that isn't true to life, I don't know what is.

My favorite car movie is still "Catch Me if You Can," not the recent one with that twerp from Titanic in it, but a movie I remember being on Showtime in the nineties, I don't know if it was made for Showtime or something, but it was a fun movie. A high school drag racer gets cheated out of a bunch of cash, and his school helps him get it back. Cheesy, yes, but a couple good cars and a fun movie.

There was another movie I remember, "The last Race" or something, I don't know the name any more, about a guy who was trying to escape a society that had outlawed cars, trying to get to somewhere a little less facist. Wish I could remember what it was called.

There was another movie I remember' date=' "The last Race" or something, I don't know the name any more, about a guy who was trying to escape a society that had outlawed cars, trying to get to somewhere a little less facist. Wish I could remember what it was called.[/quote']

Movie? I thought you were making a prediction of California. First smokers then cars, mark my words.

That was clearly a Chrysler production in Wraith, it totally had the pentastar badge on the front, and screamed out kit car with it's super small wheels and cheap looking suspension. If I were ford, chrysler, whoever, and that thing cost me $1,000,000, I think I'd cry. And as for that big block vette having to cheat to beat that shelby daytona fwd? I don't buy that for a second.

Anybody remember "Death Race 2000" with David Carradine and a young Sly Stallone? The video game that spun off of that was the first really big "games are too violent" controversy because you ran over "gremlins" in a "car" (I use those terms loosely, it was the late 70's after all and graphics weren't quite what they are today) in order to get points...

one of the actors was talking about how to drift by pulling the e-brake.:shock: *if i'm not mistaken...the e-brake has no role in drifting...*

The e-brake is indeed involved with drifting: it's used by beginners as a way to assist breaking the rear end loose until they learn more advanced ways. And it's used by veteran drifters to help assist them in the drift, if necessary. So basically one use is to initiate (beginner) and other is added control (advanced). If you watch in-car footage of pro drifters, you'll see them yank up on the e-brake periodically.

ah, i stand corrected then.

I guess i just thought it was a cross between overcompensation and flooring the gas...i think heel-toe pedaling fits in there somewhere....figured the e-brake would just get in the way of that.

But anyway...now im really curious...what is the "correct" way to drift?

EDIT: a lot of my assumptions come from the movie "initial D"....and trying to make sense of it.

the correct way to drift is up to the driver, what ever makes you comfortable, after time you learn alot of new tricks and it all becomes second nature when to use them. i started out drifting 12 years ago when stationed in japan, i started with the ebrake, then learned to use the brakes to rotate the car "braking drift" feint , clutch kicking "i still dont like doing that unless i have to" and just plain *** entering way to fast and leting the car slide out with a touch of lift throttle oversteer..

after you are around the sport for some time you learn new technics and use them for different reasons , you develope a style of your own.

Ok, I was wrong, it was a dodge. Here's the info... (I refuse to link to the site because they made it such a stone cold bitch to copy some friggin' text off their page...)

The "Turbo Interceptor" featured in the movie was a "real car". It was loaned to the production by Dodge and was, in fact their 1984 PPG pace car -Codename M4S. Built by Chrysler and PPG for $1.5 million, it had a 2.2 litre twin turbocharged engine with a a twincam Cosworth 16-valve cylinder head and an extremely expensive PPG custom metallic paint job created by overlaying PPG black glossed with 16 coats of pearl and five coats of clear laquer to create a finish that "glows" golden brown to mauve depending on the light. A company called ' Code One ' additionally made six M4s Turbo Interceptor replica cars for the movie, however only a few were working replicas. Four were destroyed for the filming of the movie. Later, after the filming of the movie, the original Turbo Interceptor was returned to Dodge and may now be on regular display at the Walter P. Chysler Museum in Auburn Hills, Michigan. One of the movie replicas is being restored at this site . More details on this Amazing car and its history can also be found in the archive copy of the now dead Auto-Enthusiast.com.

This flick is a favorite of Shelby Dodge enthusiast for obvious reasons. Most of the cars, including the Turbo Interceptor were all 2.2L 4 cylinder Chrysler Turbo's. Some of the best race scenes had 2.2L Dodge Daytona's in them. And while the first race scene with the white Daytona Turbo Z keeping up with the Corvette may not seem feasible. I can guarantee you, the Daytona was very well capable of beating the Corvette in real life if it had the right performance modifications. Even the police were driving turbo-charged Plymouth Reliants. The Turbo Interceptor had a prototype twin turbo setup, but was primarily based on the 2.2L Chrysler engine. Even now, the owner's of 80's Turbo Dodges drive their cars to victory in everything from street racing to autocross to drag racing. And they remain a best kept little secret in the world of hot rodding.

The car with the teeth painted on and other stuff is in fact a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda. Pretty collectible car nowadays.

Sorry, I just noticed this from the text: "Even now, the owner's of 80's Turbo Dodges drive their cars to victory in everything from street racing to autocross to drag racing. And they remain a best kept little secret in the world of hot rodding."

Having had a 1987 Dodge Daytone Turbo Coupe (white with t-tops), I can say it won *no* races. Evar. That said, I was stupid (and 18) and hit 128mph (+/- 1mph) once, so I knew it could go, it just took a while to go... :)

Guest 280ZForce
saw a preview in the theaters tonight. also saw some dumb 'behind the scenes' thing before it where one of the actors was talking about how to drift by pulling the e-brake.:shock: *if i'm not mistaken...the e-brake has no role in drifting...*

actually professional drifters w/ rwd cars use the ebrake as well.

i saw a lexus gs w/ a 2jz turbo swap in it...the guy had a hydraulic power ebrake setup to make it a cinch in pullin the ebrake while drifting.

and they actually have some big name drifters doin the driving in the movie...rhys millen to name 1.

Cannon ball run 1 and 2. lol, first time i remember seing jackie chan in a movie.

Well I don't plan on going to watch F&F3 in the theater because of all the people that I would assume would show up. They would annoy the hell out of me.

Guest JAMIE T

I'm going to go see it. I know... I'm gay right?

I agree with one of the above posts which said any car movie is good for our hobby or Jobby, which ever way you want to look at it. I don't care about drifting particular, but I think I'll atleast the least be entertained for an hour or so. Maybe go back out and see if I can slide my Expedition... I'd try to drift my 240Z but would be afraid of wadding it up and having to rework hundreds of hours of body work. Not to mention thinking of crashing a car that I will have sunk $20K minimum. It might seem like a drop in the bucket for the sponsored drifters, but for the little guy who's not drifting a 240SX, getting replacement parts sucks.

If I remember the "turbo interceptor" correctly, I't had what we are to assume to be "the powerplant of the future" that kind of looked like something from tron. I've never seen a glowing 2.2 turbo, at least not one that was glowing blue...and I still say that with $1.5 million dollars, almost anything could have looked better, more high tech, less chop shop than that car did. It really felt like a $20k (being generous) fiero conversion to me when watching the movie....

Everybody asking about the proper way to drift, an entertaining dvd from Best Motoring called "the Drift Bible" is available from www.bestbuy.com that goes through all the different handling setups and the best way to get them to rotate in a corner. Tsuchia the drift king shows you in an S13 to demonstrate understeer prone cars, an S14 for balanced cars, and an MR-2 for oversteer prone cars, and also talks you through different methods and techniques you can use for different situations, and ways to practice. Best Motoring, like Option before it, used the 'sneaker' cam, a small picture in picture of what the driver's feet are doing on the pedals in real time. Pretty cool really. I think i'll put a "g-ball" in my console too, so passengers will be able to tell what the center of gravity is doing at all times...

on a pro level it ebrake is used to draw out a longer drift staying sideways down a streight section using it to maintain your current tregectory in other words, or just doing tight 180 spin turns

i should have said using it to initate a basic drift is a begginer technic

While the plot may be no better than most other car centric movies I'm going to see FNF3 to see the cars and the stunts. Tokyo has got to be a better backdrop for insane driving than Miami.

When will we see a remake of Wangan Midnight? Now there's a plot that needs some work.