HybridZ

How to build a beast

Guest theonlymatt

Guest theonlymatt

I have recently acquired a 1975 280z and am lost. I love the car, can take car of the interior and make the exterior look nice, but as far as the engine goes im lost. Where can I get parts and what parts get me the most bang for my buck? Is there a turbo I can install or do they only work on the zx engine? I want this car to be fast....real fast. Thanks for the help.

P.S. it has the 2.8 liter V6 in case that wasnt obvious

Guest theonlymatt

Im sorry, I was spacing out cuz i was at work. Its actually an inline 6 cylinder and I have a question for anyone whos painted one. Does it have a lot of nooks and crannies that are hard to get to or can I leave the engine and driveline and what not in when I sand blast and paint it. (obviously all masked off).

I'm sorry, but I needed to post here. I'm also a Mat (but, with one "t").

But seriously, do you know the difference of a inline 6 and a V-6?

EDIT: You will want to remove the engine and pretty much everything else (strip it completely) when you media blast the car. You do NOT want that stuff to find its way into the engine or any drivetrain components and cause damage.

I want this car to be fast....real fast.

Swap in a V8 or go with a L28ET (turbo engine, it bolts right in since it's a "L" series engine) It takes a lot of automotive know-how to increase the power of the L engine by 2~3 fold, especially with the turbo swap. V8 is easier but it's not a bolt on.

If you want to go with V8, search for

JTR (jags that run, V8 conversion kit and manual)

and search in V8 forums, as well as picking up some generic V8 performance books. Some V8 guys here are just too damn fast. (dr_hunt is one of them)

If you want to go with L28ET, search in "Engine component forum---Turbo section" There are a lot of guys that run L28ET and makes 300~400 HP.

Guest theonlymatt

Thanks for the help. I want to stick with the original engine so I will check out that forum. I just found out today after I had the car tuned up and replaced the spark plugs and coils that it is a lot faster than I originaly thought. I managed to squeel the tires in second and third gear hitting only about 4000-4500 rpm's. Also....mat thanks for the tips on sanding the car, and I do know the difference between an inline and a V6. I was born at night but not last night. One last question I have for everyone is someone said they were running oil with their gas in their 75 280z. Is this recomended or even good for the car? Supposedly their are putting in an additive made for like a 2-stroke engine. Just wondering whats the deal with that.

Detail about the kit please! What's torque steer?

Well, I can't think of any V4 engines exept in old Honda interceptors from the 80's but, torque steer happens when you have some assymetric components in the drive line like unequal lenght axles in an front wheel drive or an iopen diff. where you would have a tire sticking more than the other.

just have to watch the torque steer.
I personnaly never experienced real torque steer in an RWD exept maybe in my old man's duster drag car. So, what's up with that V4 kit and torque steer with an RWD 4cyl.