HybridZ

problemmm

Hey I have a few questions about my car. The last 3? days it has been running a lot worse. I just got a u joint problem fixed about a week ago too. 1st the car has been running a good 40 degrees hotter than normal its to the point where I am scared to drive it most of the time because of how hot it is running its also about 30 degrees cooler outside which makes me even more worried .2nd the car has started a lot worse it wither seems like its flooded or needs gas and no in between. before the car would start perfect every time and now it usually needs a couple of tries. and 3rd if the rpms are at around 3k and I step on it it seems like it chugging and the engine almost completely stops and then slowly revs up. well any pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks, mike

p.s the oil temp. is also about 20 degrees hotter. I was going to flush the radiator and check the thermostat and also check the heads for oil leakage but I am going to wait will morning when the engine cools off.

First of all, you have to give us the details of your car? What year is car? what motor does it have? Have you done any mods to the motor that may have contribuated to the engine running hot? With the limited info I would say to check to see if the exhaust system is clear? what I mean by that is to check to see if the muffler or cat is corroded or collapsed inside. That would cause both your motor from overheating and the sluggish responce.

It was still the first week I had the car and I was leaving from a stop sign. I wasn’t used to how stiff the clutch was and how fast the rpm's shot up I dropped the clutch and the half shaft u joint just snapped on the side with the diff. It ran fine for the first few days after I got it back and all weekend so it was fine for about 300 miles. thanks

mike

Thanks for the help you guys I am pretty sure it is just that one of the header and intake manifold bolts just got lose on me and there was a little bit of coolant that leaked out and two of the spark plugs were coated pretty well in oil so I am going to try and fix that up and then try and figure out why it wont start tomorrow. I am almost positive the starter is good so I think it is the ignition switch. Thanks again for the help and I am defiantly going to order that leak down tester for the future,

mike

If you have two adjacent cylinders with wet looking spark plugs, you may have a blown head gasket... Exhaust gasses being forced into the water jacket then cause the engine to run hot.

Grumpyvette gave you good advice; if a leakdown tester is out of the question at the moment, at least run a compression check.

Losing the nylon teeth off a stock timing chain sprocket can also cause an engine to run like crap.

OK so apparently my neighbor looked at the car with me. I have a leak in my alternator and distributer gaskets. I also have a coolant leak near my water pump and my intake manifold. Im not sure if I am up for doing the work my self but a shop quoted me for 2500 so I think i am going to try and do it myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alternater gasket? Are you SURE you want to work on your car? It sounds like you never worked on one before? Changing intake and water pump gaskets on a SBC is TOO easy. And the auto shop want's $2500 ? You'll have to get a basic repair manuel for an early model car, like a 70's corvette or camero to learn how to change the gaskets. I don't mean to be offensive, but this is " mechanic's 101" stuff.

Well I am only 17 and I know how everything works and have worked on certain parts of cars but I haven’t had to deal with something like this in the last two years, this is just one of the things I have never done. I have people who can help me so I feel pretty comfortable about doing it myself. I think they where charging 2500 to fix the 2 gaskets fix the "leaky intake manifold" which is just the lose bolt. And the coolant leak near the water pump which I am not even sure is existent. They also wanted to change the battery and they said the heater hose was to close to the right headers and would eventually melt, which hasn’t been a problem in the last three years but they told me they needed to no matter what I told them. I was just getting an estimate and the car is back at my house so hopefully I can have it decent condition by the end of the weekend.

HowzDat, you are welcome for the above advice.

That said, I really hope that you are yanking our chains (as your screen name could imply)... $2500 will buy a fine complete engine. If you really got that estimate, please read through the recommendations here (especially about written estimates and a second opinion): http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/GenInfo/Publications/Auto_Repair_Guide-Jan_2004.htm

If I were in the situation you describe, I'd be seeking out knowledgeable friends and relatives, doing a lot of reading, and looking to join a local car club.

Good luck.

Hopefully he's joking about the alternator fluid, but has anybody ever seen the Lexus hydraulic cooling fan that has tranny fluid or some such running to it, or the Volkswagen cooling fans that have one electric motor that runs two fans with belts? OEM's do some wierd things some times...

Seeing that this is HeavyZ's old car and we all know how much time, effort, and money he put in it, you always wonder who your car ends up with and at what level of experience and knowledge the new owner has. I'm sure some of the HybriidZ guys would help you in your area before you take it to another shop.....

LARRY