HybridZ

Wheel stud length ?

I got the new Toyota s12+8 calipers with the vented rotors on lst night. The slotted rims dont clear the caliper, probably by 1/8" or 1/4". But my question is how much of the wheel stud is needed for safety? Right now, without the wheel spacer, the wheel studs barely stick out through the holes in the wheel and the lug nuts probably grab about 1/2" of thread. Are longer wheel studs needed, or deeper lug nuts?

I've found that the Pep Boys style ALMOST fits correctly. The center hole is like .010" too small in the front. I chased a wheel balance problem for a LONG time, and even took my car to a really good tire shop and they didn't catch it. I replaced the ones that I took off which finally started cracking with some lugcentric ones from Coleman Racing, and I had to open up the center hole on the Coleman racing ones.

The studs should be longe enough that you have a couple threads showing once the lug nuts are properly torqued down. what you have now is flat out unsafe. Buy longer studs, or better yet, get a set of 15 inch wheels which do not require spacers.

I'm not using spacers on my 280ZX, but for some reason, the thickness of the new wheel means that it's about 6 threads (or so I've been told) that the lugnuts (McGard Splinedrives) are holding on by. So is that enough to be "safe"? I've driven to LA and back, and driven in a short autox with no apparent problems.

I don't honestly know the answer to that one. One idea would be to use the same rule of thumb that I was taught for rod ends. You want 1.5x the diameter threaded on. So in the case of a 12mm lug stud, you would want 18mm or about 3/4" of threads to engage the lug nut.

If you put longer studs in you could cut them down to the right length if they bottomed inside the lug nut before they got tight.