HybridZ

5 speed and fidanza swap

WEBEZEEed

This is a little long but here goes. Car is a stock 73, removed 4 speed and flywheel, Installed Fidanza aluminum flywheel,reinstalled stock pressure plate and disk, installed 82 5 speed with throw out bearing from 4 speed, slave and master cylinders are in good working order (both only 1 year old) system was rebled checked ... no air in syetem. I now cannot get enough disengagement to shift gears, clutch pedal is adjusted full out (most travel) was that way with 4 speed and original flywheel. So I tried the throwout bearing from the 5 speed, too much, slave will not bolt up, clutch arm is too far foreward,back to 4 speed throwout and a washer under the clutch arm pivot ball, slave was difficult to bolt up but managed, car now shifts, test drive...... slips under load,it did not slip before!pull trans and replace washer under pivot ball with thinner one,slave just bolts up there is maybe 10 thousands between clutch arm and slave pushrod , I am at max travel no wasted movement, had wife push in clutch and put into gear, not enough disengagement, had to slide screwdriver thru ujoint of driveshaft to be able to turn it. I am thinking that there has to be some difference in flywheels. If a step is machined where the pressure plate bolts would that not change the engagementdisengagement charteristics,maybe even make the tines of the pressure plate a little closer to the throwout,or maybe even change the leverage ratio. For some reason I neet more disengagement travel.Does anyone have any words of wisdom or experienced the same with a fidanza flywheel and stock componets?:(

I had a similar problem during my 4-speed 260z tranny to '78 5-speed swap. After taking off the 4-speed, the slave cylinder would not fit even when fully compressed. It turns out that the clutch fork was binding up on the pivot ball, and I ended up switching out the entire clutch fork, and then the slave cylinder had no problems mounting up. I guess that little wire clip that holds the fork onto the pivot ball was worn out on mine, and needed to be replaced.

Of course I'm using a stock flywheel and factory style aftermarket clutch stuff, so I'm not able to render an opinion on the fidanza situation. (my only experience with fidanza is on my friend's 98 sentra turbo: the flywheel rattles on startup like there is a bolt loose or something but was professionally installed, and his ecu is throwing some kind of code because of a related sensor that the fidanza flywheel isn't interacting with in the same way the stock one did. off topic i know, but it's sort of colored my opinion of fidanza a little bit)

I'm not sure this is the whole of your problem, but when you go from a 225mm flywheel (stock) to a 240mm flywheel (turbo/2+2/fidanza) you have to use the shorter throwout bearing collar (and probably the matching TO bearing) that came with the turbo/2+2 cars.