HybridZ

Collapsed header tube help

Hi everyone, I know I don't have a Z any more but I'm in need of help with my Sanderson long tubes and this place seemed perfect to get this problem solved. I hit something on the highway saturday night that collapsed one of the pipes on the drivers side header all the way down to the collector. Does anyone have an idea as to how to fix this? Here are some pics to give you a better idea of the damage, it's crazy how concaved in the pipe is! I'd like to fix them if I can, thanks for your help in advance.:)

Brett

Img_0139a_thumb.jpg

Img_0135a_thumb.jpg

When I bent my S&S's, I took a round steel bar about 1" in diameter, ground it smooth on the end, and stuck it up thru the collectors to the flattened places. Then take a torch, heat the tube red hot, and work the bar around to open the tube back up. Put pressure on the tube from the inside with the bar, then tap the tube where it isn't hot to push out the flat areas. Working carefully with the bar and a hammer got them looking pretty good again, but it took a while.

jt

Thanks everyone for the advice. After taking around to some local shops(and I must say it was fun watching every shop worker scratch their heads and say they'd never seen a collapse like this), here's what looks like will be done on friday. The bent area will be cut out with a plasma cutter and a "metal tupe" cut from a section of pipe will be welded in its place. Not pretty, but I knew I'd mess up the ceramic coating any way I go. I have to drive it like an econobox right now and want to get past this stage asap, wish me luck and I'll post pictures once it's done.

When I bent my S&S's' date=' I took a round steel bar about 1" in diameter, ground it smooth on the end, and stuck it up thru the collectors to the flattened places. Then take a torch, heat the tube red hot, and work the bar around to open the tube back up. Put pressure on the tube from the inside with the bar, then tap the tube where it isn't hot to push out the flat areas. Working carefully with the bar and a hammer got them looking pretty good again, but it took a while.

jt[/quote']

Like he said.

I've done this too and it works.

...The bent area will be cut out with a plasma cutter and a "metal tupe" cut from a section of pipe will be welded in its place. Not pretty, but I knew I'd mess up the ceramic coating any way I go...

I thought this might be the way it would end up...but still, there are some very cool possibilities listed above that others may take advantage of. Some of these ideas blow me away!! :2thumbs:

Davy

Brett just order a new header.

That's the best fix but I've got to get it done sooner than two or three months from now. Last I heard on torquecentral, JTR has a huge back order.

Is your RX7 back on the road now Mike?

That's the best fix but I've got to get it done sooner than two or three months from now. Last I heard on torquecentral' date=' JTR has a huge back order.

Is your RX7 back on the road now Mike?[/quote']

JTR has headers now, he also has them with new collectors and ban clamps.

My 427 is now up and running in my RX7. I just do not have time to drive it.

Humm.... Not to hijack the thread... I'm down for a drive too! And my headers are ready! O.K. Time to get cracking and get the FD on the road! Is John gonna be joining us? :wink:

JOEY

I mentioned it to him a couple weeks ago, hopefully his car will be done by then too. Redwood road is a lot of fun (yeah, the street next to your shop!), let's plan to hook up for a drive there or to Mt. Hamilton in a couple weeks when it works for everyone's schedule. How's that FD treating you Joey, do you like the change?

:cheers:

Wow, "frankenheader" is pretty descriptive! lol

At least it's doing the job and is under the car where no one will see it :mrgreen:

On a side note, the exhaust tips you treated your car too look the business!! :2thumbs:

You should be proud of your car, it rocks.

Davy