HybridZ

Problem with Turbo...leaking !!! Turbo Experts

Dayz

Hi,

I have a problem with my turbo. It is a 7mGTE engine from a Toyota Supra. I have a CT26 Turbo, a 3" turbo outlet, 3" downpipe to the back of the car.

It has been 3 times that I rebuilt this turbo in 5000Km. It is leaking oil, smell burnt oil in the back. It is coming from the Turbo, I am positive. My oil pressure is fine, I did an oil analysis, came out perfect.

The Turbo guy is telling me that because my outlet is a 3 inch, it isn't keeping the backpressure on the exhaust side seal (o-ring). He thinks the turbo needs this backpressure in order to seal properly. He is advising me to put the original Turbo Outlet.

Is this possible?

Thanks, I need my daily.

Dayz

You definitely don't want to install a more restrictive outlet. That won't solve anything, unless this larger outlet is not fitting properly and is keeping the seals from functioning. I can't picture it so I don't know if that's a possibility, but more exhaust gas restriction is NOT the answer.

Wow, I would go to a real turbo guy. I had a ct26 leak on the turbine side shortly after rebuilding it. I replaced the piston ring seal and it was fine after that. They are very easy to r/r. Alot easier than T3-T4 stuff. The ring could have colapsed or there could be carbon keeping ti from sealing if it is in fact coming from there.

I rebuilt it, cost me 500 US$. Was leaking oil. Rebuilt it again at the same place, it was leaking again. Rebuilt it a 3rd time at another turbo Shop (He is an expert). He dismantled it found out that the cup behind the compressor housing backing plate upside down. He installed a new cup that fit and changed the oil seal again. This is an explded view of what I am talking about.

http://www.socalsupras.com/tuning/turborebuild.html

I will check my feed line and return line more carefully. There isn't a million solutions !!!

I love cars.

Thanks guys, I was going to try to reweld the other flange and put the other elbow...I am tired of this issue. Thanks for your support !!

Dayz