HybridZ

Junkyard A/C Condensors that work in a Z?

jeromio

So, I can buy a brand new condenser for between $100 and $200 that will fit. But it would be so much nicer to pay $10 or $20 for a used unit from some other car that meets the dimensional requirements.

Has anyone dug around the salvage yard for condensers and found one that would fit an S30?

You mean the compressor for an LS1 S30 car. I've been searching around the JYs for small compressor to fit my LS1 S30 car also and had no luck either. I used this same method for the alternator for my LS1 swap. I really want to see how you LS1 guys fit the stock GM alternator down low beside the motor without rubbing the frame rails. Unless you guys shift the motor more to one side and the motor is much higher compare to mine. Even up high I still don't have much room for compressor or alternator. What I did was I put the motor in where it suppose to be and then fit the rest of the stuffs on the motor. Please let me know if you find a compressor that works for you.

You mean the compressor for an LS1 S30 car.
No, I mean the condenser. I have a compressor. I bought the LS1 unit with bracket in hopes that it would fit - doesn't. So i am making a bracket, but the compressor will be located in the "stock" LS1 FBody location, passenger side low. BTW, there's plenty of room for the alternator down low - many inches to spare.

I also bought an LS1 condenser, but of course it is too wide to fit. As I said, I could buy a new condenser that would fit, but with so many $20 used condensers to choose from, it just seems silly to spend $150.

• 5 years later...

BUMP from the grave

It's been a few years, so perhaps somebody has an answer for this now. Doesn't make sense to post a new topic, when it already exists!

I've been doing some searching, but I haven't found anything conclusive on the subject of condenser swaps (Geo Metro and Mazda 626 were referenced, but that’s all). It seems with all the small cars out nowadays, there should be some newer options other than OE. I know the original condenser is more than adequate, but I would like to have something that performs better, and doesn't look like the used and abused one I threw out. Stock replacements exist, but if I can pull something from the yard that weighs less, looks and performs better and is intended for use with R134a I might as well go that route.

The Mazda 626 condenser that I used JUST BARELY fits top to bottom, and that's after punching two 7/8" holes in the lower core support to hold the lower rubber mounts. The top of the condenser snaps into the upper core support lip, holding it just right.

NOT for stock refit though...the lines come out in funny spots and I had to cut and braze them to where I wanted them to be.