HybridZ

Thinking about joining the Communist Party

auxilary

yeah, one trip to Eastern Europe and you'll be blown away by the ladies.

they forgot my favorite commies, Kim Jong Il and Kim Il Sung. KJI had "pleasure teams" of nubile North Korean girls that pretty much serviced him on a whim...what a life.

Guest iskone
I have the shirt.

I accidently wore it on Memorial Day (college students have no knowledge of current space/time) and it took me a while to realize where all the old people came from and why I was getting such bad looks....

Cool beans.

Mario

LOL, bet you felt stupid.

isk

I have the shirt.

I accidently wore it on Memorial Day (college students have no knowledge of current space/time) and it took me a while to realize where all the old people came from and why I was getting such bad looks....

Cool beans.

Mario

lol, talk about faux pas. But hey was there ever even a war fought between America and a major(not satellite) communist country? I know America only fought countries that do not have McDonald's.

lol, talk about faux pas. But hey was there ever even a war fought between America and a major(not satellite) communist country? I know America only fought countries that do not have McDonald's.

We shot a lot of Chinese in the Korean war. Bunches and bunches of them. Russian pilots too. I don't think either of them had a McDonalds back then.

I experienced a faux pas similar to Mario's. I had picked up a souvenir Stalin pin while in Moscow back when Gorbachev was in power. I was wearing it along with some other pins popular with Moscovites when I stepped off the plane in Soviet Georgia, birthplace of the butcher Stalin. I couldn't understand the glare of our guide until he whispered to me "That is just a souvenir, right?" I pocketed it quickly and went on to enjoy the warmth and hospitality of the Georgians, including fresh fruit which was scarce to non-existent when in Moscow. You can only eat so much chicken Kiev, although the Stoli helped.

I experienced a faux pas similar to Mario's. I had picked up a souvenir Stalin pin while in Moscow back when Gorbachev was in power. I was wearing it along with some other pins popular with Moscovites when I stepped off the plane in Soviet Georgia, birthplace of the butcher Stalin. I couldn't understand the glare of our guide until he whispered to me "That is just a souvenir, right?" I pocketed it quickly and went on to enjoy the warmth and hospitality of the Georgians, including fresh fruit which was scarce to non-existent when in Moscow. You can only eat so much chicken Kiev, although the Stoli helped.

So what is russia like? I want to go there and see it just to see it.

I was there in the eighties during Perestroika. Americans were met with warmth, curiosity and amazing knowledge of American pop culture. I was shooting with an entertainment T.V. show so we were shown the country more as a tourist would see it. I had a group of school girls come up to me and practice their broken English with questions and a group discussion to decipher my answers. Some of the leftovers from Czarist Russia are stunning bits of architecture including Red Square and what was then Leningrad. I stayed in a suite with gold everywhere, a Czarist survivor with an ornate clock over the fireplace and a grand piano in the main room. (Our interpreter convinced the front desk we were more important than we really were.) Of course the plumbing would give you a rusty bath at the end of the day. The communist buildings not so nice, cement slabs everywhere.

You could feel communism collapsing everywhere but we still witnessed a KGB beating one night and everything was in short supply with long lines. McDonalds hadn't opened its doors yet.

We were at the first open air rock concert that Bill Graham put on with Santana, Bonnie Raitt, the Doobie Brothers and James Taylor. It was fun to watch the crowd slowly loosen up under the watchful eye of the large police presence. They went nuts when Santana came on stage.

At a rock club the audience had to first watch a communist play before they fired up the heavy and I mean heavy metal bands. I lost my shirt literally after a vodka drinking contest and arm wrestle with the cook of the club. Western goods went for big money on the black market.

I am sure it would be a very different experience now 20 years later.

zlalomz....

You did a fantastic job of turning around this thread.

Interesting stuff.

I expected it to crater in.

Notice that auxilary has not chimed in. I dont think it was his intention to start an interesting conversation.

I certainly admire the culture of different peoples. It can be fascinating to see how the world differs but the human spirit stays strong.

I will admire the people, but not the failed political system.

auxilary hasn't chimed in because auxilary was born in Odessa, Ukraine, back in 1978 when it was still part of the USSR, and spent a good chunk of his life there until almost teen years :)

I started this thread because I thought the shirt was hilarious, not because it was political. And to counter zlalomz's reply (not bashing), but the tourists got to see tourist stuff :) not the real USSR which was pretty damn crappy.

In grad school we did air modeling on the chernobyl (sic) site following the nuclear meltdown. For 800 miles downwind there is nothing growing at the time.

We did bay water modeling because on the north coast there is a bay where nothing lives for 500 miles out to sea. The whole sea floor is covered in waste, both chemical drums, paints, spent nuclear fuel rods, garbage, old cars, trucks heavy equipment, scrap military vehicles, etc. You'd have to see the minisub video to believe what they've done. The fisherman along the coast have to travel more than 500 miles to catch anything.

There are also chemical plants where the vegetation is void for 100's of miles downwind. I can't imagine any worse environmental disasters than what I've seen in the photos.

But I've heard about these palaces, where the csars lived that are just unbelievable to see, the architecture is stunning. I'd like to see the real russia and of course the tourist stuff.

That is why I pointed out we experienced the Soviet Union as an entertainment show and not a documentary. Our every move was so controlled that the host of the show so wanted out of country that at the airport he was pushing his bags past officials like a madman. I was expecting us to be rounded up and sent to the Gulag.

Personally I had a great time and enjoyed my conversations with the people I met. I also knew my passport would allow me to leave at anytime, unlike the Soviets we had met.