HybridZ

battery issue, car won't start

I went to start the car this morning, and nothing.

Here are the symptoms:

Volt gauge reading 7-8 volts just standing (normal >12)

When Key is put into on position voltage goes to zero

There is not enough power to engage the selenoid on the starter

The car almost did not start with a boost, but eventually did.

Here's what happened (i think)

First of all I have those crappy autozone battery terminals.

I drove up to austin yesterday, and drove back the same day, and took some backroads at speeds that only a datsun could take them at (had the tokicos on 3) and I think i sloshed the battery around alot, enough to loosen up the terminals. Halfway through my journey I went to get gas, as I was leaving the car didn't fire right up they way it normally does... kinda took 5 or 6 cranks. This morning I got nothing. I double checked and I didn't leave my lights on or anything simple like that...

I bought some better battery terminals so we'll see if I can drive my own car tomorrow. The other option: A MINIVAN!!!! :cry2:

Is your batt. properly secured or can it move around a bit.

Cause if it can move, maybe you have shook loose some of the material attached to the grids inside the batt, if that happens the stuff (I don't know how it's called in english) piles up at the bottom of the batt and creates an internal short witch in return will drain your batt without you ever being able to prove it with any multi. or test light.

Kind of the same thing that happens when a batt, gets suffated (again not sure about this word in english) but mutch quicker.

My alternator will still keep the car running if I jump the car, but I think the battery went totally dead on my way back from austin.

Here's what I think happened:

I took the corners hard, and shook one of the terminals loose, namely the negative one.

Then I drove all the way home with a half-way loose terminal (unknowingly). I'm assuming that is what caused the battery to not be charged, and I have my headlights wired directly to the battery. So the car drove all the way home on the alternator, again assuming here, and the battery must have been almost dead by the time I got home (3hr drive).

I don't know about that battery stuff... I can get a free replacement if I want, so I'm not too concerned, just wanna drive my car!

Replace the battery. Don't run on the altenator too long or you'll fry it as well. Sounds like you did shake the plates loose inside. Like Alexideways said, secure that battery down and make sure it doesn't move. Is it secureed now and how long is your ground cable? It may have ripped off not shook off. It happened to me as well, guess the Datsun peeps knew what they were doing when they put that holddown in there. Hehe. Good luck.

Ok the story gets better... (obviously worse)

anyway, today I replaced the battery and the loose negative terminal, did several checks with the voltmeter, even though some of the bars on the digits are missing, but it still works. Standing still (no key, no engine running) the volt gauge reads 12 volts.

Put the key in, turn to ON position and the car will do one of two things, 1) continue as normal with a very slight voltage drop, or 2) go down to ZERO volts immediately.

With the new battery I did hear the selenoid on the starter click a little, as if it were trying to engage the flywheel, but no turn-over.

I think there is a short somewhere... :cry2: I hate electrical gremlins. I checked all my fuses, I looked at all the connections I have made in the past and double checked with my multimeter... I'm soo out of ideas right now!

I just remember that I DON'T remember hearing the relays clicking under the dash when I switch the key to the on position... now what relays are supposed to click again? ugh I hate this car!!!

hahaha you people are all going to laugh...

This is like the punch line to a very bad joke...

It was the POSITIVE terminal!

and that was all. Two days downtime caused by a seemingly unfaulty, yet oh so faulty battery terminal connection.

now to get back out there and plug in all the harnesses I just unplugged under the dash :oops:

thanks for all the help you guys!

:rockon::2thumbs::cheers:

Yeah that happened to me, I went to the trouble of rebuilding the starter before I realized it was the ground. then (different car) I replaced the battery and found (after the second time of getting "0" volts that the positive terminal would not tighten, the bolt would bottom out and the clamp would barely grip the terminal, a good bump and it would come off. I didn't know because the first thing I did was loosen the terminal, them remove, untill I realized the terminal would pop off without loosening the nut.

I know you think it's over, but get new cables maybe next time this happens.

Usually when I have the car sit for a long time, the positive terminal and the connection to the starter solenoid build up some corrosion. I always check those 2 things if the car doesn't start. The electricals may seem to have power but because of the corrosion there usually not enough amperage to spin the starter motor.

broke the starter solenoid the other day after checking those 2 things just rebuilt it sence I had a maxima starter laying around.