HybridZ

What should I do next?

Here is a picture of my 280z at this point. I'm going to be doing some exterior work to the car in the next month. Here is my list of things that I will be doing in the near future:

680065392_l.jpg

Headlight covers:

Should I get smoked covers or clear? What looks better on a yellow car? How badly do smoked covers obstruct light from passing through?

Remove rear bumper and metal shelf:

Should I replace it with a 240z style bumper, or go with the smooth rear? Should I add a bumper to the front or does it look ok now?

Remove side molding and trim antenna and corner markers:

What is your opinion on this. How much better do these cars look without the trim?

Lower the car:

I'm thinking of going with Koni struts with some nice sport springs. 200lb front 225lb rear

Anything other suggestions are welcome.

take it to a paint shop, they can color match it, or cheaper solution... look up the sunburst yellow paint code and give you that.. prolly a difference of around 50 bucks between the two options. but the sunburst yellow color prolly won't match unless it has been painted less than a year ago.

-Ed

I pulled the side mouldings off my 280 and it immediately looked twice as good. Which meant it looked half as ugly. I'd def go with clear covers, the smoked ones would stick out too much on an all yellow car. I would put 240 bumpers on it. Shave the rear completely if you want, but it's a lot more work and be sure there is ZERO rust back there.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to remove the trim strips, it's going to leave little holes in the sheetmetal. They're riveted on. I just grabbed hold of one and yanked and they pretty much came right off. Where they didn't, I drilled out the rivet. I also had to drill out over the rear fenderwells. The rivets in those areas didn't fall back inside. If you take them off, you're going to want to repaint the car anyway, as it will leave strips of better paint underneath where it hasn't faded.

• 8 months later...

I think that we have the same ideas about the modifications of a Z.

In july 2006 my project started with a rustfree body and a lot of spares. After a little planning and a lot of work, now i have space to lower the car almost to the bottom. I replaced the chassismembers and raised the floor. After creating new fender flares i am looking for the different collour codes for a '77 280z. Is there anyone who can help me?

Greetings from Holland

I wouldn't remove any of the body trim unless you're going to repaint your car. For the same reason I wouldn't remove the rear bumper either. Once your ready to paint then you can think about those types of modifications. The way it sits right now I think lowering the car would help as well as doing something with the front end. The front end doesn't look finished without a bumper. I would suggest getting an early 240Z bumper or somehow filling in where the bumper used to be. It compounds the problem when you have to run a front license plate, and you don't have a good place to put it. Maybe getting the fiberglass front bumper like what MSA sells would work for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...