HybridZ

Credit Card Fraud

COZY Z COLE

This morning I recieved a call from Citi Bank about my Master Card credit card. They ask me if I had made a purchase at a photo store in Redwood City yesterday. I said NO!! They advised me to cancel this card ,which I did and a new one was issued. To me that's customer service.... The charge will be canceled and they immediately flagged the old one as a lost or stolen card. I still have the card so someone stole my info. This credit card has a large credit limit on it so I'm happy about their security response. My feeling is that someone tried one small trans-action and then they would go nuts....

LARRY

good call. several years ago my car was broken into and took my girlfriends wallet out of the glove box. she had thrown the stuff in there the night before and we forgot about it when we got home. we knew that the had broken into the cars in the morning and cleaned everything out of the durango and the mercedes ml55 that we had. (retards left the lap top and a huge bottle of $150.00 tequilla in the back of the durango). one of herecards had a credit limit of 30k. we had actually bought the durango on the card because of the lower rates than the dealership was giving us. to this day, the police have done nothing to the case, even thought they have video tape of them using the cards at the registers at home depot, target, walmart, and others. i do not want to have to go through that again. i still have the fraud alert on all of our cards.

jim

I have had that happen 2 or 3 times in the past. Told the credit card companies the charges were not mine and that was it. The credit card companies took care of it with no other issues.

Getting a single card compromised is really not a big deal. You get the bills within a month and can get the bad charges deleted without much effort.

It is when they start making up new cards in your name that you have a serious problem. The bogus cards don't know your true address so you may not find out about them until a collection agency calls you months later. You can usually get all the bogus charges dropped without having to pay them, it just takes a lot of time monitoring your credit report and dealing with all the bureaucracy involved.

This happened to me a few months ago. My credit card company called me and asked if I made a $5000 purchase at an audio/video store, and if I just bought a Harley Davidson in New Jersey. I said I've never been to New Jersey. He said that's what he thought, and they had the guy detained at the Harley dealership. BUSTED!!! I closed the account, and opened a new one.

I'm glad they are on their toes. I wonder what tipped them off?

This used to be my job sort of. Instead of looking for fraud by identity theives, I used to look for fraud by merchants. The most common tip off was repetitive card numbers. If you use a credit card number generator you have to plug in a good card number to get it started. So the first 8 or 10 digits would all match, but the last 6 or 8 would be different. Other tip offs were a convenience store selling a $4000 item, or activity suddenly going from nothing to super busy. The one that I'm still the most proud that I caught was a dental assistant who was taking her boyfriend's cc to work and REFUNDING money onto his card. Caught that one just by common sense. I was looking through the charges and thinking "When does the dentist EVER give you a REFUND???" Checked the card number history on that one and it had never been charged and had received 2 refunds for around $500.

I would imagine from the other end it probably has more to do with where the purchases take place. I know once I went racing and I filled up at the gas station in Rosamond, then raced all day, then went back and filled up again at Rosamond. I guess they thought it was suspicious that I would fill up twice in the same day. Citibank turned my card off after the second charge and when it declined the next time I tried to use it I called and they verified the transaction and they turned it back on. They can be a little overzealous sometimes.

I know once I went racing and I filled up at the gas station in Rosamond, then raced all day, then went back and filled up again at Rosamond.

Hah! I had exactly that happen to me racing at Buttonwillow. Two fillups within 6 hours at the Arco and then I couldn't pay for dinner at Willow Ranch. Luckily I just had enough cash.

I'm glad they are on their toes. I wonder what tipped them off?

There wasn't a Z in any of the pictures. :icon52:

FWIW they called me when I did my R-230 conversion in RIO VISTA and when my driveshaft was done in CONCORD, both shops are about 20 plus miles from FAIRFIELD, but when I used it in HI. in JAN., they never called so their logic is a mystery to me.

LARRY