HybridZ

Steel head gasket?

zeiss150

Hey Z people I'm getting ready to do my turbo swap pretty soon (I hope) I have an HKS steel 2mm head gasket on my current engine. Would it be compleatly stupid to reuse the head gasket. Because it's steel does it compress? If it compresses then I would imagine it's only good for one use. but if it doesn't...

They are $200 ... just trying to save a buck.

If I can't use it agian I'll just go stock and keep my boost under controll ... yeah, thats what I'll do.

Well, I've reused mine twice now. Not saying that it's probably the correct thing to do. I have done it and I thought I read somewhere that it was re-usable, or maybe I just wished it was. But anyway yes, I have done it twice on my Z and it's working just fine. :D

HKS doesn't make them anymore and I believe that MSA bought up all the back stock (I could be wrong on this info, but that is what I was told by Sal at MSA) the Part # that MSA sells it under is 10-2458 That is for the 2mm head gasket. there price is $159.95 buck.

If someone eles is making a steel head gasket I would like to know about it.

• 4 weeks later...

If you were to call nissan and tell them you want a 2.0 millimeter headgasket out of ther nissan motorsports catalog, then yes you would get a HKS gasket. If you just ask for a head gasket, you'll get a stock head gasket.

• 4 years later...

wow does time fly! I started this thread in 2006 and I just pulled my n42 head off TODAY! So I'm going to re-use the head gasket but I was wondering if I needed to do any prep to the gasket its self. There seems to be a "coating" that has come off (stuck to the head and block). so does the gasket need to be sanded and then re-coated?

I guess I'm asking what sort of "prep" is required for re-using an HKS 2mm Steel head gasket?

Thanks guys!

Matt-

I wouldn't sand the headgasket.

Maybe use some thinners and a clean rag to smarten up the gasket, head and block surfaces.

You might consider using some copper spray on the HG when it's time to instal it.

I have one of these gaskets too, anyone else have any suggestions?

I wouldn't sand the headgasket.

Maybe use some thinners and a clean rag to smarten up the gasket, head and block surfaces.

You might consider using some copper spray on the HG when it's time to instal it.

I have one of these gaskets too, anyone else have any suggestions?

Just clean it as good as you can using mineral spirits, a clean cloth and compressed air. Spray 3-4 thin coats of copper spray and let it cure for a least a few hours before installation.

Ok I reused it. I sprayed it down with "brake cleaner" and that striped the "rubber coating" off of the gasket and left me with a clean steel surface. I put three coats of copper spray on it and let it dry for over an hour. Then I put it on the block and put the head on. We'll see tomorrow if it worked. If its leaking water I'm gonna be pissed. I'm 95% sure it will work. I'll update tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Matt-