HybridZ

rb26 swap oil pan and transmission mounting

fbomb

I ordered and recieved the RB20 rear sump oil pan and pick up, but I have a couple issues. Firstly the bolts that hold the pan to the block are much larger on the original pan. I can deal with this. Secondly the oil pickup mounts to the engine in the very frony of the motor since the original is a front sump. The new pan is rear sump, how do you make this work since you would need a very long pickup tube. Lastly the transmission (rb25gts) is setup to mount to the motor with 8 bolts. With the original pan 4 go into the block and the other 4 go into the pan. What do you connect the bottom 4 bolts on the transmission to?

Thanks for your help.

This doesn't seem like the ideal solution, leaving 4 of the 8 bolts out. Shouldn't their be some sort of braket that goes form the bottom/sides of the block to connect to the trans? Does anyone know how the trans connects to an rb25?

You make a new pick up tube, or make it a external pick up as myself and another have done (requires oil pump mod for -10an line).

if thats the case, would it be a good idea to just cut the original pan and flatten it out for use with the S30's steering rack setup, and then weld on a sort of bung that would allow the sump to connect directly to the oil galley that syphon's the oil all the way to the head?

also. not too sure about this, but does the RB26 have oil squirters for the underside of the pistons? if so, then oil would eventually leak down back into the pan, and sooner or later the external oil supply would gradually fill up the entire shaved pan ,and leave the head with nothing to glide with, and would cause a catastrophe.

what's the ideal way?

This doesn't seem like the ideal solution, leaving 4 of the 8 bolts out. Shouldn't their be some sort of braket that goes form the bottom/sides of the block to connect to the trans? Does anyone know how the trans connects to an rb25?

There are stamped steel braces that bolt to the side of the bolck and the trans. However, there are plenty of high power RB26's not using anything other that the four block bolts without failure.