HybridZ

my s30 drawings...

OlderThanMe

I wouldn't be using a front mount, I'd be using a top mount with a front intake. the air would come in from the front, and go through the intercooler from underneath, then out the louver strip in the hood. The pipe layout would be a bit long if you were going to route a front mount that way, but no reason really that you couldn't do it.

Ah yes, now I understand. I'm switching up to an electric fan and I'm custom building an intake so I'm pretty sure I can run a pipe through there. While my car is all apart I think I'm going to start mocking things up to get an idea of how this setup will fit. I'll take some pics if I get anything that looks decent.

The upper hose was the real problem. There would still be space if there were somewhere else for that to go. I always wondered about those metal flex hose kits you can get from speed shops or summit? I never see anyone running them, I wonder if they work...

• 1 month later...

OTM, I really like that... it's kind of like something other-worldly meets the YZ.

I've often wondered about a different grille treatment of the G-nose. I can see how it's similiar to your other drawings, but kind of an evolution of your "spoon" shaped nose. Your's approaches the AM-DB grille, without ripping it off. I like the front view of the front (?), it brings your idea more to life and really gives a better view of the curves.

Thanks Sven!

I am developing this front fender idea that I like. I think I'll use it on my Z if it checks out OK aerodynamically...

I keep drawing a nice rear fender and then look at it again and say crap...another YZ fender...lol I guess it is such a good shape to complement the rest of the car.

Yeah, the YZ is pretty sexy. My picky gripe has always been the cutaway of the rear quarter from the wheelwell. It's about the only issue I have with the YZ flares, and I'm not sure how it could be done more elegantly. I've always thought maybe some kind of spat (molded in of course) would not leave so much of the tire hangin out there. Then you get into rear skirts mucking up the looks. That's hard to do without a full on overdone 70's bodykit look. It's tricky, and I'm most certainly not dogging on your drawing.

Definitely looking good OTM! I'm thinking of doing a new one that will incorporate some of the cool stuff that was going on in the Aero thread (mostly like the side skirt stuff). I've been kicking around some ideas along the lines of what Jmortensen was asking to have tested with the full fascia molded into the flares.

So I think that having an open fender may hurt aerodynamics a little bit. Having it vented should provide better flow from the tire/wheel area.

That is just speculation and could be completely off...

I'll be doing whatever I can to help with the aero of my Z...

How so? I've seen it done on a LOT of high dollar race cars, so there must be something to it. I think what you want is a fairing over the entire front of the wheel, and then the easiest path for the existing air to exit out the back. Like what we see on this car:

ama4.jpg

with all the pics and drawings of flares and body kits here i thought you guys might like to see what my brother created for me

he redesigned the velerosa rear body tub. we didnt care for the huge cut outs behind the rear wheels in the quarter panels nor did we like how high the wheel well opening was.

he chopped it up, shortend it,lowered it and made it fit perfect to run 11 inch wide wheels with 315/35/17 tires

the quarters now cover the tires at the top by 1/4 inch with a 1/4 side clearance

i dont know how to post a pic here so if you really want to see a few pics just go to desertzassociation.com to the members rides section

look at coyotegary section for the black 74 Z

shiny paint is on the way....lol

This one's for Daeron. Is that what you were thinking of?

tigermouth.jpg

My thoughts had envisioned the "mouth" encompassing the airdam line, utilizing the hard "jawbone" of the car to provide the illusion, and the headlight for the eye (maybe trace something onto an acyliric bucket?!) Basically, 90% of the profile view would simply be the dark olive green, but the "face" or "mouth" would be the mouth that the car actually has. The airdam on the front end we discussed is basically a smooth plane, perpendicular to the ground with far less change in curvature, or "spook" degree that my Ureflex airdam has. It was a damaged fiberglass unit that my dad "repaired" into the stock shaped fiberglass front end. I have always stumbled over the difficulty in setting the proportions up mentally to make it look at ALL right.. but the "cheekbone" so to speak, the area behind and underneath the headlight bucket, yet in front of the wheel, seems to have more meat on it than in your drawing. (in my mind's eye, on the front end in question, at least.)

but YOUR drawing is most certainly a wild take on the very concept I had been envisioning, yes. Thats great work.. :hail: I need to get some pencils together.

I always liked the idea of drawing when I was a kid, but I could never honestly think of something worth drawing... and recent reading has actually convinced me that its worth giving it a shot, even if all I ever learn to draw is Zs. My current plans for my car are simple; but to the best of my knowledge my "idea" is relatively unique so I don't want to spill it until I can make a visual first. I may try to pencil together a VERY rough outline on the specific placement that I was talking about in the PM, but I love the drawing. If only that face were from the japanese planes, and not the american ones!! it seems almost totally inappropriate to ACTUALLY put a design like that on a plane made by "the enemy" on some levels... :P

I started reading this thread some time ago, but the sheer number of posts daunted me. I got about 30 or so into it and had to pass out.. its time to re visit I suppose. Thanks man!