HybridZ

280zx T-5 clutch fork same as 4 and 5spds?

mustard-z

I installed the following;

280zx T-5

225mm aluminum flywheel

Centerforce DF

Centerforce release bearing

roller pilot bearing

mystery clutch fork

mystery collar

4-speed 280z slave cylinder

1. My mystery clutch fork seems too short by 1/4"-3/8". The slave cylinder is pushing at an angle on the clutch fork. Is there a different fork I should be using?

2. My mystery collar seems to be the same size as my 280z collar. I just don't know if it will be OK for my installation.

I haven't driven the car yet so I don't know how it works but it seems that the slave cylinder should be pushing approx. 90° to clutch for for proper operation. Can anyone help me confirm the sizing of my clutch fork and collar?

I appologize if this is covered but I couldn't find anything that was clearly stated in my searches.

I am pretty sure the T-5 fork is the same - I'll check when I get home, but when I went through this last year, I think it was the same.

Just curious - where did you get a 225mm alum flywheel? I have never seen one for sale.

I compared this clutch fork to a few others that I have and it seems to be the same as other 70-78 forks. Did the clutch forks change in 79-83?

The flywheel doesn't have any stampings/markings for a manufacturer so I really don't have a clue. I did measure the contact area and it measures 225mm.

If someone could take measurement to ease my mind that would be awesome. :) I uploaded pix but am not sure they will come in the post.

clutch fork OA_thumb.jpg

clutch fork pivot_thumb.jpg

slave_align_thumb.jpg

Mixing and matching Z clutch parts can be a nightmare. I have learned the following by painful experience.:fmad:

The T5 uses a unique slave cylinder that makes the plunger of the slave go straight at the clutch fork. You can bolt the slave from the Nissan transmission onto the T5, but it will work at an odd angle, and will limit travel somewhat.

All Z Clutch forks except those from the early 240Z are the same. The 240Z one has a hole on the outside end to bolt on and adjust the 240Z- unique slave plunger. All non-turbo Zs except the early 240 use the same slave cylinder.

Be sure you have the correct master to match the slave you are using. Some "parts store" masters, even though they are the same diameter as the one being replaced, do not move enough fluid to fully actuate the slave. I "think" that all Z masters are the same except for the 240.

The T5 uses a unique TOB collar. It is the longest one used in any Z (there are 3 lengths that I have seen), to my knowledge.

The T5 was always installed with a 240mm flywheel and clutch - you may want to see if you can check how the height of your pressure plate compares to the 240mm.

If the clutch fork has about a 45* angle towrds the front when pushed all the way backwards by firm hand pressure only, you are probably OK mechanically and are dealing with hydraulic issues.

Make sure that the lines and cylinders are thoroughly bled.

Let me know what measurements you need for the correct T5 parts and I'll get them for you.

I've also noted the different part number for the T5 fork. Just recently I took a known correct T5 fork (ordered from the dealer) and carefully compared it to several 280Z forks laying around in my junk box. As far as I can determine, they are the same.

Probably a good thing to get a new one, however - they have been known to develop small cracks and/or flex excessively with age.

I talked with motorsport and they measured a clutch fork that they had for the T5 and it measured 1/8" longer than the forks that I have that came from early 4 & 5 speeds.

Motorsport lists the same part number for the slave cylinder as for all years from 70-83. I don't know if that information is 100% correct but that is what I am going on at this point, unless I find out different.

-----------------------------------

Speeder, I have attached a few pictures of one of the collars that I have. Could you measue a known T5 collar for me so that I have some comparable numbers to check my installation?

I posted the measurements in one my previous post for the dimensions of the fork that I have. Could you also measure a known T5 fork and post the sizes?

IMG_1693_thumb.JPG

IMG_1694_thumb.JPG

my T-5 came with and I used the medium sized collar, which I believe is the only one still available from nissan, the longer one was what I had with an older 4 speed and I had other 4 speeds that used the small collar, if I put the long collar in my T-5 it would press against the pp at rest

I *think* that I installed the medium collar but now am unsure. I need to double check. Eric Neyerlin from zpart.com has a pretty good page that is in process.

http://www.zparts.com/zptech/articles/trans_swap%20parts/4tobear_specs1.html

The collar I measured in a previous post is for sure the type "A" collar from the 4-speed, that I previously had in my car.

Thanks to everyone helping me out.