HybridZ

spring success but some questions (pics)

ok so i bought some accord springs off of ebay and im getting close to finishing. My problem is that i was hoping for the springs to be lower that the 280z springs but are exactly the same. the accord springs i think are dual rate springs.What part of the spring should i cut off, the coils off the left side or the right side?

*oh yea i dunno how they should mount either...

ee7b7e51.jpg

some pics...

ee7b885b.jpg

ee7b8854.jpg

thnks guys

The more coils the softer the spring rate will be. I would cut the left side. The only down side would be you don't know what you are changing the rate to. You may of been starting off with a neutral handling car and end up with the balance off because one end is now alot stiffer than it was before the cutting. What's the spring rate now and why didn't you just buy aftermarket Z springs that are known and have a proper rate for a Z and ride height? Just curious.

cuz i have no income...(im 16)

well im not sure about the spring rate but it should be around 160ft/lbs...i got the springs at a really cheap price from my friend and i read that they have the same diameter as and can fit on a 280z soo i did it as an experiment. I am also moving the rear springs to the front for a stiffer spring rate and a lowered ride height.

at the end the rates should be 127ft/lbs for front and obo.160ft/lbs in the rear...

If they are in fact 160lbs. Is the wire diameter of the Honda springs the same or smaller? The rate will go up after you cut them. Are your stock rears that are going in the front going to be cut? If not and they are 127 and your rears are over 160 after the cut. You will may be in for some fun oversteer.

The ride height isn't determined by the free length of the spring. It's determined by it's rate, and the weight of the vehicle. You could have a 80 lb spring and a 700 lb spring that are the same length, but the ride height will be totally different with the two different rates. I suggest you put them on then cut them to the height you want after you see where they're at. They're also progressive, so if you cut the tighter wound coils that would be cutting the soft end of the spring if you care.

Spring rate doesn't change that much by cutting coils unless you cut a lot of coils. Dan Baldwin figured that one out on a thread a while back, maybe 2 years ago or so. I can't remember the example exactly, but someone was worried about how stiff they would get and it added like 5 lbs to the spring rate to cut the coil or two that they were talking about.

-the wire diameter of the honda is 7/16in. and the springs in the front(rear datsun springs) will be cut 1 coil to balance with the honda springs

ok through http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/coilspringrate.htm

i found that the spring rates of the honda springs alone are 133lb

if i cut 3 coils off of the left side i will get 150lbs and the same height as 1 coil off of datsun springs

but if i cut 4 coils off of the left side i will get 171lbs and it will be the same height as a datsun spring minus 2 coils...(what i originally going to do)

so yea what do you guys think?

btw theese are the accord rear springs..the front springs are smaller in diameter but should fit.They are 281lbs according to the website... :eek2: if i were to modify them to fit on the datsun struts they would be 337lbs and would be 1 inch shorter :icon54:

here's a pic they are in the middle

ee7b25b0.jpg

**EDIT: i dont think the spring rate website is that acurate because i put in the datsun specs into it and it gave me a 150lb spring...