HybridZ

Drilling an E88 for FI?

X64v

Hi guys. I've been thinking about converting my '73 240z over to fuel injection. I've been reading tons of info on MS and all the other issues with converting to fi, and the only thing I haven't found any info about (even after much searching) is possibly using it on an E88 head. Has anyone had an E31/E88 drilled for use with fuel injection (4 mounting holes and injector paths)? If so, about how much did the work cost you? The reason for using an E88 instead of one of the FI heads is (1) I want to use it on the stock l24, and (2) I would like to use this head on the L28e I'm building as well to increase compression. Thanks.

Sean

• Administrators

Yeup. What Z-gad said…

Some years ago we converted an E-88 and a couple of L-4 heads for EFI, but that was many moon ago. Requires machining the injector slots, drill and tap the 4 manifold mounting holes and it is ready for EFI.

Now days, for the L-6 crowd any how, it is usually cheaper to just buy a used EFI head and bolt it on. In some instances, the EFI head is more desirable as well, i.e. combustion chamber shape and port config, depending on the pistons and the intended goals for that car….

For you L-24 guys, especially if performance is important to you, the late Maxima N-47 head is PERFECT!!! I do know that the ’81-84’ Maximas, (and yes, Nissan did produce the L-24E in ’84), had the right head, not sure about the earlier models… The MN-47 already has the all the mounting holes, has those nice flowing round exhaust ports, and hands down, THE best combustion chamber shape of ANY L-series 6 cylinder head cast. The only way to do better from a combustion chamber standpoint is to weld up your E-88 chamber, or an N-42, or Z N-47 chamber. Of course this is from an all out performance stand point.

This pic is of one our custom MN-47 heads destined for a hot street L-28. For an L-24, we would not remove as much material from around the spark plug boss.

MN47Small.jpg

• Administrators
Ewwww...Bosch Platinum Four....

That spark plug is NOT a Bosch Platinum 4. It is a NGK spark bolt, part number BPR6EQ13, which is no longer in production. As for Platinum spark plugs, for older engines running older fuel systems, even the OE Hitachi L-jet, I prefer not to run Platinum plugs as they are finicky when it comes to consistent fuel mixtures. They work fine IF the mixture is perfect but will foul easily if the mixture isn’t perfect. The current crop of modern multi valve engines with their very sophisticated and consistent engine management systems seem to run the platinum’s just fine.

Every time I post that picture of the MN-47 with the NGK multi-electrode plug in it, someone posts about how there is NO benefit to multi electrode spark plugs, so I’ll just cover that ahead of time...

Multi ground electrode spark plugs do not offer ANY offer any performance gain over standard plugs IF the air fuel mixture in the combustion chamber can get to the spark in the first place. Also, for some unknown reason, a myth started about Multi-electrode plugs. That myth being that these multi electrode plugs are able to spark simultaneously from more than one electrode… NOT!!! They will “not” spark from more than one electrode at the same time. It will only spark between the center electrode and “one” of the ground electrodes during each spark event. Due to the flow of the air fuel mixture surrounding the spark plug, if there is chance the volatile air fuel mixture doesn’t make it between the ground and center electrode of any style spark plug, the mixture wont ignite, i.e. misfire. This is the reason I chose to run those plugs, for their unshrouded spark, i.e. the spark is more exposed to the combustion chamber. It can be argued as to whether or not my reasoning has any merit in regards to the L-series as there are plenty of L-series making HUGE power utilizing standard design spark bolts. The multi-electrode plugs do unshroud the spark itself, and in my mind, allows for a greater chance of that air fuel mixture to get in between the spark gap and become ignited. Did these plugs actually improve the performance? Dunno, I never did any back to back dyno testing. I don’t trust my butt dyno enough to say yes they helped or not they didn’t.

FWIW, we just acquired a sample set of BRISK spark plugs and we will be performing some back to back dyno testing in our N/A L-28 powered race car. I have yet to find where BRISK plugs weren’t a benefit of some sort, other than the cost, and their design is rather unconventional, but they also claim the benefit of a less shrouded spark which means less misfires and more consistent and even combustion events. If we can measure or feel a gain with these new fangled plugs, we will be a dealer.

Brisk1Custom.jpg

Whew..

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled “E-88 converted to EFI”, thread…

Guest aarc240

Not wanting to hijack the thread but just an observation on the plug issue.

I still have several platinum tip SIDE gap super cold race plugs from many years ago, they were common in race engines for exactly the reasons Paul laid out.

Less inclined for the fire to fail to ignite simply because the spark path was more exposed to the chamber. Just goes to show there ain't too much new!

I ran those same NGK multi electrode plugs (with a "7" heat range as I recall) for a while and had more misfire problems than I did with the standard NGK coppers.

I suspect that this may have been mostly due to the TEC2 being finicky about spark plug-induced EMI, but I've always been concerned about the relatively large gap with this style plug (even more so with the bRISK - what is the gap on those - 3mm?), and the inability to change it by much. I've generally had better luck with smaller gaps when running a dense high boost mixture.

I've pretty much given up on spark plug experiments and just stick with plain old NGK coppers now. :mrgreen:

Piston engine airplane engines use multi electrode plugs for longevity. After one electrode quits being the favorite (gap increase or whatever) the next one is ready to go. Since airplane engines have dual magneto's you can have the polarity different on each one. Standard proceedure was to clean and gap the plugs, then test them (yup, spark only goes to one electrode at a time), and then rotate them so they would be on a different mag for the next 100 hours. That way, metal that was deposited from center to outer would then be redeposited from outer to center and visa versa.

Please people, go back to e-88 FI topic as X64v had a question + myself and maybe other people would be interested in that. ANY info will help.

Yes, we did go off topic, but if you've read the first four responses, the question has pretty much been answered already. Was there something else you needed to know?