HybridZ

Itkeeps leaking!

Ok i feel stupid I cant get my 400 turbo oil pan to stop leaking IV been through 3 gaskets all ready. Its flat clean I tried dry and sealer but after a couple of days it starts leaking . Im not over tightening it doing the cross tighten method can somebody give a lesson thanks Jim:fmad:

Does the trans pan still have the groves / raised areas in it? If not buy a new pan. If it does then I would buy two gaskets and silicone them together, than place on pan with silicone. Let dry, then tighten to trans but use a 1/4 drive and do not tighten too much, contiune to use the cross pattern in tighten.

Are you useing a two peice timeing chain? If so it might be the timeing chain cover I went through that one.

I think he's talking transmission not oil pan on the motor.

dipstick tube, servo, there are pressure port fittings as well, a host of things. I had one like that once I fixed one leak I found that I had yet another.

thats what i dislike about SBCs, they all seem to leak around the oil pans no matter what you do..

If you re-use the old pan you have to take a ball peen hammer and beat the bolt hole area back down, look at the pan and you'll see what I mean. The area around the bolt hole pulls and keeps the rest of the pan from contacting the gasket.

Also, silicone the gaset to the block, lightly, and the pan lightly, the end gaskets and the rail gasket are leak points as well, lightly silicone both sides and joints, should be fine.

I think he's talking transmission not oil pan on the motor.

dipstick tube' date=' servo, there are pressure port fittings as well, a host of things. I had one like that once I fixed one leak I found that I had yet another.[/quote']

doh.gif

Not a big fan of cork gaskets on the tranny, have you tried a rubber one with a little silicone on it?

Also.. oil and silly cone do not mix!!! I have found that cleaning both surfaces with some rubbing alcohol first makes a huge difference in getting the silly cone to actually adhere to the surfaces

Yes you do have to clean the mounting surface for the permatex/silacone to adhere.