HybridZ

copper intercooler piping?

Guest ON3GO

It would be awesome to use as a core, but depending on where you have the actual piping going inside the engine bay, you wouldn't want a better conducting piping if it runs next to the engine, or at least close enough to it for it to get hot due to engine heat.

Or hell, See if you can find 2 1/2" copper piping with a heatsink running the length of the pipe, a couple of dc fans, have active cooling on that mofo. Or, skip the fans, put it in a vat of water, (after plugging the ends of course) and freeze it... that way you have ice built up on your heatsinks before you even race, use your normal ic piping until you get to the track, keep your new piping in a cooler, and install it before staging. (sadly, i was thinking about this idea yesterday at the track)

Copper pipe is silver soldered not brazed normally. When the copper is taken to that temp, red hot, it will flake on the surface. You will need to acid wash the inside to remove all off the flaked copper. I would not want that crude running through my engine.

I would still just solder it with 95/5, I do not think you will have any problem with cracking.

Copper is also able to handle higher temps than aluminum. Once you get above about 250C aluminum looses its strength real quick where copper is good to well over 300C ... not that you should see those kind of temps out of your turbo but you can with large diesels.

Cameron