HybridZ

transmission hybrid Question

zcarmark

Does any one know if an rb20det 5speed will hybrid with a vg30dett, or do i use rb26dett transmission. I bought an rb20det 5 spd on ebay thinking it was an rb25 tranny. I've got an rb26 engine and 5spd combo that i'm putting in my '72 240z

I wish I had taken pictures when I had the rear housing off of my z31 tranny. Realistically, unless there are internal differences (which I am led to belive there is not) you should be able to swap rear housings back and forth. If anyone has a pic of a z32 trans with no tailshaft housing on it, post it, I can at least tell if something blatantly will not line up.

Evan

I have done the '26 bellhousing on a vg30dett swap. The shifter is in almost the same position as the '25, it looks extended but actually comes through in almost the exact same position approx 1 to 2 inches difference at most.

What engine is the z31 box from?

Hope this helps, there are only a few different later model nissan boxes they just have different bellhousings which are interchangeble. The two main groups are group 1 (CA, SR, FJ, RB20) and group 2 (VG30, RB 25,26).

Parts from group 1 interchange with each other but not with group 2 and vice versa. The only way I know of to get rid of the VG30 linkeage is to use a '25 box, maybe get a broken one (if possible) and use the VG or '26 internals.

I don't know what group the VG20 box or earlier VG30 boxes belong to as I have never seen one before (not common over here). But there is an obvious size difference between boxes from group 1 and those from 2 so if you saw one of these you could guess which group they belong too quite easily.

The other less common way is to cut the transfer case off the GTR box take out the transfer gears and weld a plate over the hole. Costs $800au over here.