HybridZ

VLSD carrier bushings

MONGO510

I have a VLSD from an infinity that I want to put into a long nose R200 case. As I understand it the later VLSD uses larger ring gear bolts than my "76" long nose ring gear. What do you guys use as bushings to allow the use of the early ring gear with the late model Diff. carrier? Will this work with good reliability?

Thanks!

John

Just a note.....if you do decide to use bushings, be sure they are not too long as this will not allow the ring gear bolts to clamp the ring gear securely. Many do not use the bushings and Precision Gear endorses this method.

It seems odd that you could assemble the rear end with that much potential play in the ring gear bolts. you would be totally relying on the clamping force to hold the ring gear. wouldn't the shear resistance of the bolts make it much less likely to fail?

This is my issue as well. Most ring gears are a press fit onto the carrier. The R200s aren't. They're loose on the carrier. So you really are relying on the clamping force of the bolts. That said, under "normal" circumstances that should be enough to hold everything together, and even when you're using the 12mm bolts on a 12mm carrier they aren't a press fit through the carrier, so there is a tiny bit of slack in there anyway. But that is the reason why I chose to use spacers.

FWIW, I've seen it done the other way and the people didn't have a problem.