HybridZ

Adding counterweights to a crank

Phyxius

Is it possible to add full counterweights to a non-fully counterweighted crank?

I guess you could weld them on, but as the stock crank is forged, I would think that you'd be risking compromising the overall strength of the crank.

There are fully counterweighted cranks out there already. I think SCAT makes one, and someone will ocassionally link to a Japanese page which shows one in a catalog or on an auction site. I want to say that the scat runs $2500 or $3000 IIRC, and I think AZC used to carry it about 10 years ago, back when they sold a tube chassis. Remember those???

There are fully counterweighted cranks out there already. I think SCAT makes one, and someone will ocassionally link to a Japanese page which shows one in a catalog or on an auction site.

for example, kameari.

I want to say that the scat runs $2500 or $3000 IIRC, and I think AZC used to carry it about 10 years ago, back when they sold a tube chassis. Remember those???

wow. I was born one dacade too late.

Without seeing the crank to know what and where you are asking to add weight, it's almost impossible to comment. But if there are main journals that have no counterweight and you want to add one, then the answer would probably be no it can't be done. The big question is why would you want to? Reason that question comes up is that there is a limit to the hp that the l28 can make. If your wanting more, then you'll have to change engines. Adding counterweight to a crank isn't going to increase HP.

Spin faster = more hp.

right... but hp is not the goal. I'm pretty much purely bench racing here.

There is a problem with the harmonics of the L series cranks at high RPMs... I'm just trying to see if we could come up with a solution to that problem using tools and parts readily available. The fact that it may not be worth the effort or useful at all is beside the point.

From the looks of it, you'd have to take all of the existing counterweights off and start over from scratch. it looks like the stock l series cranks share counterweights between some of the throws.