HybridZ

Truck Project

sims76

The family (wife and dog) and I are looking to upgrade from our townhome to a larger single family home in the next few months. Our townhome goes up for sale tomorrow. We're likely moving out to a rural area and we've been looking at 3 car garage homes with some acreage. I grew up in a rural area and I can't wait to get back to it. Yes, I'm keeping the Z no matter what.

I would like to start thinking about a truck project. I would like something that I could do on a budget. Here is what I'm looking for in no particular order:

1. Comfortable interior. Crew cab would be great for when we have kids but not necessary.

2. Two wheel drive is fine.

3. Must have working AC

4. Ford, Chevy, Dodge? Help, I've only worked on my Datsun!

5. Budget: $5000 including truck. I'll do all the work, paint is about the only thing I don't do.

6. Must not be a mini truck (like Nissan hardbody)

Somebody here (I think it was Mikelly) had a beautiful project truck that got me thinking.

Suggestions? What cheap trucks do you guys drive?

Thanks,

Sims

My vote would be for a 67-72 chevy or GMC. I am biased, but they are great old trucks...tough as nails and drive nicely. Lots of aftermarket/restoration/upgrade support. Coil spring (control-arm) rear suspension, disk front brakes (70-72) etc etc.

Lots of info here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Here is mine.

Rims_quarter.jpg

You won't find a double cab, but your other requirements will be met.

Tim

Tim, that is your truck! I was looking for your original post this morning and couldn't find it.

You posted it a while back and that's what got my wheels turning. Love the style and color. Awesome. :icon14:

Thanks also for the forum, that was going to be my next question.

I was poking around http://www.fullsizechevy.com but they seem to be a bit more slanted toward late models.

What about a Mazda B2600i? There not really a mini-truck, there decently sized. I used to have one and they are very fun in stock form. With the 2.6 liter engine it would light the tires up and slide corners very easily. I would accidently spin the tires every now and then(yes-accidently) Most of the time it was purposly though. There are a few of them with turbo rotary motors in them too. The 13b? bolts right upto the stock 5 speed, I looked into going rotary with it but got rid of it. I will deffinitly be getting another one soon.

Like this- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-B-Series-Pickups-Mazda-B2600i-4-X-4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6317QQihZ014QQitemZ330002734516QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

A few also put in Chevy small blocks, there may even be a kit for it if I recall.