HybridZ

1983 digital dash turbo 5 speed needz help

NISMO619

hello evey body im kinda new to hybridz but im not new to www.zdriver.com even thou zdriver is Ok i need better more professional help from everyone hear.. hears the problem i have.. i just bought a 1983 280zx turbo 2+2 5 speed for 250 bucks why 250 ? the guy couldnt get it to start.. i got the title from the guy it says " salvage " 2001 from california but some how it must of gotten to Clovis, New mexico 88101 hears all what i know i " think " the car might of been inside a lake .. why do i say this ? becuase there is a hole lot of mud/clay all the way all most up to were the alternator is.. so i thought to myself.. the car sat under water.. what must i do to get this car running.. ? so far i have replaces the Air flow meter., the distributor, the alternator , all relays i could find even the igniton switch.. i hooked up my 82 turbo ecu i get spark and fuel but no go.. ? i have ordered and new 83 ecu with wire harness the works off ebay for 65 bucks shiped.. lets say the ecu and efi harness work.. do yall think the engine bay harness would be bad ? if so does any body hear have a 1983 280zx turbo engine bay harness to sell me ? or give me ? please " i dont want to junk this car " i love 280zx's more than anything in the world i even broke up with my gurlfriend becuase i wanted to spend more time with my car than her.. :-) please any one with eletrical knowledge of these cars please e-mail me at whitetiger88101@yahoo.com thanks , KEN

if car has been in water it will never operate correctly.the many connectors around the car will grow the dreaded green corrosion.pull the valve cover and check the cam for rust.pull the ecm and remove the cover and look for green powder stuff on connections.pull the seats and look under the rugs.after looking around you will be able to figure out how much work it will take to restore the car.if you cut some of the harness covers open and the harnesses are wet inside the harnesses will rot.83 Zxt has lots of electrical extras-probably not my first pick for a performance car.

Are you sure you're getting spark and fuel? How did you check? Your injectors could not be firing. Check the connection to the fusible links. Don't forget the one on the positive battery cable for the injection system. Check everything for corrosion. It will run again, the problem is how much you're willing to spend. Restorations are like performance. "How restored do you want to spend" and "How fast do you want to spend"? These cars are very tempermental when it comes to electrical connections. Invest in a lot of contact cleaner and small wire brushes.

i some whta belive that the car has some eletrical issues also.. i finnaly was able to get ahold of a CHILTONS manual witch is alot better i think than the hanynes.. never the less im going out side to work on the 83 .. i will spend up to 500 or 1000 dollars to get this beauty running but its gonna be a little bit at a time.. so far i bought a USED EFI harness and USED ECu from ebay...im getting fuel and spark... but it feels lik the fuel injectors are opening and closeing at all thou ? i get a back fire...but thats it

check spark timing with a timing light.

I second a compession check.

take a 9v battery, put some wires on the terminals and check the injectors to hear a click when you run a current through it.

Also remove the turbo and check it, since it was supposedly sitting in water at one point.

Ok im getting spark for sure i took off the boot with the spark plug still inside the boot and had my step dad turn the key while i held the splug and wire in my right hand.. i should of used rubber gloves i got a good 10- 15 shocks.. pretty fast i would say , now im getting fuel , but it seems to not be clicking ? im gonna check all connectings any ideas on why the fuel injectors arnt clicking to start the engine.. all im getting now is engine rotation and back fireing from the POV..

new MAF

new spark plugs

new cap and rotor

new distributor

new fuel pump

new ecu

new fuel pump box.

new spark plug wires,

all new sensors all the way around

there is a sensor inside the brain box right behind the right front headlight i took off the square box that hold the 6 sensors.. that sensor underneath could that be bad ? what is it too ?