HybridZ

Gutting LT1 power steering pump

Why not use a salvage yard idler pulley from a serpentine belt equipped vehicle, doesn't have to be fbody or G.M. even. It wouldn't be very hard to adapt and would look better than an empty p/s pump.

Anyway, good luck.

Why not use a salvage yard idler pulley from a serpentine belt equipped vehicle' date=' doesn't have to be fbody or G.M. even. It wouldn't be very hard to adapt and would look better than an empty p/s pump.

Anyway, good luck.[/quote']

That's an option of course. And there are tons of expemsive after market systems too. Just looking at all the options. I'm using a Z28 LT1 and I don't think that system will fit under the hood anyway so I'll probably need to fabricate or adapt somethimg.

• 2 months later...

My PS pump was gutted by the previous owner (Tim240Z), and it seems to spin as smooth if not smoother than an idler pulley would. Using the stock PS pump as an idler also ensures that the geometry of the serpentine belt stays the same, so I really don't see an advantage of replacing it with something else.

Tim removed the little plates in the vanes to keep it from pumping and put oil in it to lube and cool the bearings.

• 2 weeks later...

I have searched and found a few people asking if you coud just loop the power steering lines, but no one has answered them. So i thought i would just ask.

So can you just loop the low and high sides of the power steering pump with a little fluid and it would be enough to loob it or what.

If no one has done it yet, i will try it as soon as my car is ready to run and let everyone know

I have searched and found a few people asking if you coud just loop the power steering lines, but no one has answered them. So i thought i would just ask.

So can you just loop the low and high sides of the power steering pump with a little fluid and it would be enough to loob it or what.

If no one has done it yet, i will try it as soon as my car is ready to run and let everyone know

You want to loop the lines and not gut it? It would probably work, but you would be taking some horsepower to do it that way. My lines are just capped off with rubber caps.

Tim's site has info on how he did it, at least it used to anyway.

I tried following Tim's instructions to gut mine and couldn't get the retaining clip out either, so I gave up and fabbed a bracket with 2 idler pulleys to replace the AC and PS.

I can't see why looping the input to output wouldn't work, should just circulate the fluid with very little resistance as no pressure will be built up.

BTW: The F-Body accessory mount does clear the hood with plenty of room to spare, so does the B-Body accessory mount.

Wheelman

Guest RisqueRace?

Hi All:

I have not posted here for a long time but I saw this post and I thought I'd let you know that I have been running my 97 LT-1 pump with a hose plumbed from the inlet to the outlet directly, filled with fluid (ATF) for about three years with no harm. I even race the car at the strip from time to time. The only thing I have experienced that might be detrimental to some is the pump starts to "click lightly" when warmed up. Vane clatter?? or cavitation?? I don't know.

Bruce

To remove the ring from the back of the pump I drilled a 1/8 in hole above the ring close to the gap deep enough to get a pick in and behind the ring. The back of the pump is spring loaded, push it down and use a pick to wedge the ring out of the grove. Remove all the pump parts, remove the little vains, reinstall all the parts back in order. I also removed the pressure valve and spring out of the lower fitting, added some oil and epoxied the holes. Lee